Clamps

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Clamps

Post by The Common Framer »

Hi all

Occasionally I have an issue where by deeper rebate mouldings - pinned and glued using wedges - remain slightly open at the face and require taping until glue dries.I am looking for a good clamping system that can hold the mitres together instead.

Anyone use the following? Any good?

Any other suggestions welcome

many thanks
FrameCo-Super-Steel-Strap-Clamp-3857-01.jpg.jpg
FrameCo-Super-Steel-Strap-Clamp-3857-01.jpg.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Clamps

Post by vintage frames »

Strap clamps are definitely the way to go but the Frameco seems a bit expensive. I use loads of these -
https://www.axminster.co.uk/multi-angle ... amp-910142
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

I use the Frameco clamp. Yes it is a bit expensive, but it has a steel band instead of a strap so doesn't stretch and feels really solid when it's pulling a frame together.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have axminster ones and they work for me. I only use for exact reason you gave when i have pinned frame but need to pull top tighter and these work well for that.

If i was gluing a frame without pinning, then i would use frameco, but i do always pin, so axminster ones are fine.

This is what works for me anyway.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I agree that the Framco will give a stronger clamp but unless you're trying to create nuclear fusion at the joints, the Axminsters are more than adequate for the job.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I have a second hand frame co, I glue and clamp then underpin while clamped. It's a great tool.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

Thanks all for the advice. Will buy one or the other! Probably frameco as it looks more robust but will see.

cheers
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

You'll enjoy having a strap clamp in your workshop, I couldn't do without mine. I've a collection of clamps including a steel one which I find a bit unruly... it seems to have a mind of its own :shock: but you can play a lovely tune on it when tensioned :lol:

I favour the Bessey BAN700 and don't have a problem with the strap stretching... but it does play a much lower note when you twang it!
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

There are the good old framers spring clamps which were widely used before underpinners became available.

They are very effective, but do leave divots which you have to make good. OK if you're hand-finishing.
But on deep mouldings it's often necessary to cross-nail the tops, so you already have a hole to fill. :)

All-in-all I think the strap clamps are the best solution. Trouble is, if you are doing lots of frames you need lots of clamps
which is not really on.

Only other solution is a dovetail joiner. Worthwhile investment if you are doing deep frames on a regular basis.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

*** Stanley used to do a very useful strap clamp. Just a ratchet mechanism and webbing. I have a few and use them
all the time. Fortunately they don't really wear out and the webbing is easily replaced. Wish I could bouy some more though. :|

There are tie-downs that are made for strapping things on trailers and wotnot. They are OK but a bit complicated.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've got one of the cheaper ones with the nylon fabric band as opposed to the expensive one with the steel band. I've no idea if it's the same as the Axminster band clamp, or not, but It is more than adequate for getting the job done. If I am using deep mouldings, I like them to be deep enough to be able to get the band clamp around the frame, but without the band clamp preventing the frame and band clamp from being placed onto the underpinner for joining. For this to work the band clamp needs to clear the fences on the underpinner. Hence the need for deep enough mouldings.

I don't wait for the glue to set, before underpinning, but I don't stack wedges anywhere near the outer edges (or back of the frame), as this can result in gaps in the outside of your mitres. I would add that some of the closer grained hardwoods, such as walnut can be a lot harder to get a nice mitred neat result and can be difficult to predict when a nasty mitre joint will appear and it can be expensive when the last mitre on an expensive frame goes badly wrong with no warning and much of that frame may become waste.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fraggle
Organisation: Perfectly Framed
Interests: Gardening, tennis, DIY

Post by fraggle »

David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

The Bessey's are cheaper in my link above :wink:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

Although I use a Frameco like the one above, I've just ordered one of these as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-ST0831 ... B001DZVNE8

For the price it's worth a try.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is the clamp I mentioned. I post it merely as a matter of interest as like all really useful gadgets, they don't
make them any more. :lol:

Really simple and elegant design. Tough as old boots. It's cinched up by a spanner which means you can get some serious
wellie on. No sticky-out bits; you can strap something and put it in an underpinner with the clamp on. If the webbing gets torn
you can fit new. Or extend it to any length. Beautiful. :D

If anybody comes across any on their travels I would be grateful if they could steer them in my direction. :ninja:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm much in favour of the basic ratchet straps much like Prosperro has been mentioning and posting a picture of. To be honest they are nothing special, just a simple and versatile way of doing what needs doing. I've bought a few, rather basic ratchet straps over the years from my local hardware shop.

I had some of them for longer than I care to remember. They are just your basic imported cheap and cheerful Blackspur ratchet straps. Do they stretch a bit? I would say so! Does it matter? Not a lot! Still gets the job done.

From memory, I think my first ones were £2.99 each, but a while ago now. I don't think that you will be paying anything that will break the bank even now, probably still less than four quid. How can you go wrong?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Prospero they do ratchet webbing straps in Halfords. They have the ratchet handle to tighten the webbing with.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Chris2103 wrote:Prospero they do ratchet webbing straps in Halfords. They have the ratchet handle to tighten the webbing with.

Yes I've tried them. Problem is, are quite complicated compared to the Stanley ones. The lever mechanism is cumbersome and you can't
get the same tension on as with a spanner.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Justintime wrote:I have a second hand frame co, I glue and clamp then underpin while clamped. It's a great tool.
Having said that, I've recently got hold of a hoffmann mu2 dovetail router, which means I've not used the clamps recently.
Hoffmann have just made available a W0 router bit and keys too, for tall thin mouldings.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
louisesimon
Organisation: Peckham Pictures (closed)
Interests: Framing, Art, Photography

Post by louisesimon »

justintime do you have a link to the W0 router bit? Thanks