Framing a canvas in frame with a small rebate

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Framing a canvas in frame with a small rebate

Post by whitbyframer »

A customer has had some rather expensive canvases sent over from Pakistan, the largest of which is 6ft x 3ft. They also came with pre-cut frames that have a very shallow rebate so using stretcher moulding isn't an ideal way to stretch them. I'm just wondering if there's any mileage in me using MDF with tapestry tape on to hold the canvas in position. Not ideal I know, but it would fit the rebate better. Any ideas?
prospero

Re: Framing a canvas in frame with a small rebate

Post by prospero »

Much better to stretch the canvases using traditional bars and use the existing frames. They don't have to take the
whole depth of the rebate, in fact they rarely do. All manner of methods - offsets, spring clips, even Z clips although
personally I hate them. :lol: My prefered method is using Lion's bendy plates. Ref3505/6/7

One problem you may have depends on the width of the frame. If it is narrow (<2") the canvas edge may be over-visible from
the side when fitted. Very little you can do in this case except try to build up the back of the frame. The stretcher bar
size needs to be quite chunky, but try to avoid the 30-40mm deep so-called box canvas bars. 25mm is the ideal for a 6x3.
Possibly with cross braces. Harris-Moore do some excellent custom-sized bars.

Please don't tape them to a board. :|

If the canvas sags in the future you would have the unenviable task of pulling it off the tape.

A board that size would be likely to stay flat. Reinforcing it would defeat the object of not using stretchers.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

How wide is the rebate on the frames? if this is narrow then the stretched paintings will need to be dead square, I think it's always good to have a generous rebate width with canvases

and if the stretcher sticking out the back is a problem then a backing frame can be added, and the sides finished to match the sides of the frame.

Tapestry tape is a big no no in my opinion.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Since these are expensive canvases, it therefore follows that they should be framed using reversible techniques and therefore stretcher bars would be the obvious option. It is not uncommon for foreign vendors to supply frame mouldings that are less than adequate when it comes to the rebate width.

I would guess that the moulding supplied is neither an expensive one and that when assembled may not join well at the corners. I would recommend playing it safe and placing a flat slip inside the frames rebate and thereby increase the effective width that is hiding the edge of the canvas.

Keep it simple, easy to do and profitable. The jobs a good 'un!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

Thanks for your input everyone. It's confirmed what I was thinking and, having talked further with the customer today we've agreed that stretcher moulding is the way forward and we're going to build up the frame around the edge. We'll just have to wait and see what the corners of the moulding are like as it's a gift that's been sent over from Pakistan from family and so they want to use it.