Joints opening at the back

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Joints opening at the back

Post by whitbyframer »

I'm sure I've seen a topic like this one before but here we go anyway.

I've just had my Morso blades sharpened for the first time and man, what a difference it makes. However, the joints when pinned are opening slightly at the back. I believe that this may have something to do with the morso blade position but aren't really sure which way to move them to try to correct the problem, or if I need to adjust the left hand fence a tad.

I've already adjusted the fences on my underpinner (love my CS 20 most of the time) but it's still pushing them out slightly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as always :clap:
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Joints opening at the back

Post by StevenG »

Well, correctly sharpened blades are a high priority. The left fence tweak maybe needed but the first thing I'd do would be to make sure your fences are correct in the first place...... If you check page 22 of the Morso manual you'll see this .....

"When the fences have been adjusted to degrees other than 45°, the correct re-adjustment to 45° is made as follows:
Place a straight steel rule against the measuring scale (26) so that it overlaps the whole of the right fence (18). Now, adjust the right fence (18) according to the steel rule, and the right fence (18) will be adjusted to exactly 45°.
Place the steel rule against the right fence (18) (now exactly adjusted at 45°), so that it overlaps the whole of the left hand fence and proceed as mentioned above with the adjustment of the left fence (17)."

(I've attached a copy just in case you didn't have one)

failing on that ....

https://www.theframersforum.com/search. ... ence+tweak
Attachments
MorsoManualWithPartsList.pdf
(3.88 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Open joints can be caused by either or both your guillotine and underpinner. But if this has only just started to happen with the newly sharpened blades then it must be your guillotine that needs attention.

You say this is the first time you have had your blades sharpened. First you need to check if the blades have been hollow ground. The face of the cutting side should curve slightly inwards. When fitting the blades make sure they are perfectly aligned, both the same height and neither one more forward than the other.

If the Morso has had any left hand fence adjustment previously then it was probably to compensate for dull blades. I would reset the fences. Place a long steel rule in contact with your measuring scale and also up against the RIGHT fence. Both should be inline, adjust if necessary. Now slide the rule over to the LEFT fence and adjust so it is inline with the RIGHT fence. The measuring scale and both fences should all be perfectly inline.

Now cut a square test frame from a WIDE FLAT moulding and cut upside down so you don’t have to use the rebate supports. Lay the frame on a flat surface and you should be able to see if the joints are open either at the front or back. If there are obvious gaps then make a LEFT fence adjustment. Reduce the size of your square frame and cut all the corners again. When you think the corners look right go ahead and join the frame to make a final check.

If the face of the frame looks perfect and there are still gaps at the back but on the side of the frame only, then this could be an underpinner issue.

As to which way to move the left fence… I can’t remember! :oops: You’ll work it out! :giggle: I think Prospero will remind us :wink:

EDIT: Featurepiece got in before me :clap:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

What they said ^ :D

Moving the left fence toward you will close a gap on the inside of the mitres in most cases. How much is trial and
error, but use very tiny gnat's eyebrow movements. If you see an improvement then you know it's working and you can keep
twitching it until it's right. If you go too far you start to gap on the outside.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
whitbyframer
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. This is my weekend task now :)
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

When fitting newly sharpened blades I always try and ensure the blade bolts and fairly central through the holes in the blades. It is easy for the blades to appear lined up but when you look the rear most bolts are high in the blade recesses, the blades will then not hit the moulding at the designed angle.
whitbyframer

Post by whitbyframer »

I've been making some adjustments today and have got it just about right. A few minor adjustments are still needed on Monday I think, just to make me happy about the quality more than anything. Great advice from people. Thanks.