Electric Paint Sprayer - which is the best?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Electric Paint Sprayer - which is the best?

Post by Fellows Framing »

Hello,

Looking for advice or recommendations for a diy/budget/entry level paint sprayer please.

Wanted for painting of mouldings and boards. Not for heavy use but needs to give a smooth coating with no drips.

Thanks
Sarah
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Electric Paint Sprayer - which is the best?

Post by Not your average framer »

Beware of those nasty all in one hand held units, a lot of them are just so called "airless spray guns" with a very noisy piston pump. So check the noise level if you are using the spray gun in doors, make should that the noise is not going to drive you crazy.

An HVLP system with a base unit and a hose to the hand held spray gun is likely to be a better option, but still check out the noise level and bear in mind that those with smaller motors can get quite hot and may not be designed for continuous operation and have to be left to cool down as the unit heat up too much.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

take a look at Axminster power tools
they do a HVLP system

I agree with NYAF. the hand held ones are ok for spraying your garden fence but I wouldn't recommend using one for frames
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Here's some more to look at:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... ric-spray/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/bosch-- ... stem-230v/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/bosch-p ... stem-230v/

Please note: I'm not recommending any of these, just letting you know some I'm been looking at, but not buy anything myself until much later.

There's probably some YOUTUBE demos somewhere. I'm guessing that the number of watt input power has a rough correlation to motor power, bearing in mind that different motors may differ in terms of efficiency. Also compare rate of applying paint and size of paint container.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I know that there are those who like to apply guesso with a spray gun and there's a lot to know to do this. I ckichen out of stuff like that and leave it to those who are good at that. However, I would like to at sometime in the future get a spray gun for spraying paints and varnishes.

My new shop will for the first time give me somewhere to do this, my plan would be to spray complete lengths of moulding by passing the moulding through a swirl chamber with an extractor creating a partial vacuum within the chamber. The moulding gets sprayed as it passes through the chamber and I would do this in the back garden of the new shop, rather than have to deal with and over spray getting into the air in the shop.

Swirl chambers come in different shapes and sizes, so don't get confused that not all are the same. It's still a swirl chamber. This technology is well known in manufacturing and in application can be either simple, complex. The type of swirl chamber that I'm interested in is a long tube where the paint or varnish is sprayed in at an angle some where along the tube and the air is extracted before the end of the tube. An airflow into both ends of the tube prevents any over spray from escaping from the end of the tube.

The moulding is fed along through the tube were it is sprayed and as passed the extraction port there is a reversal of the direction of air flow and the overspray does not escape from the far end of the tube. Some over spray remain of the inside of the tube, but at least 90% is extracted with the air flowing through the swirl chamber. It's a very clean process.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've got an old Appolo Pro Sprsy 1500 system for sale if you are interested. Two guns and the compressor. Pm me if you are interested.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Post by Fellows Framing »

Thanks all for your advice and tips. I defiantly need to get a high quality one.
Sarah