hand painted white frames, spray or not to spray

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: hand painted white frames, spray or not to spray

Post by vintage frames »

Meths won't harm wood, neither will white spirits or anything else you're liable to use in the workshop. If you see a oily or greasy bit on the wood, then use a little detergent or even some vinegar.
Now if you want to make an easy gesso, as a grain filler, then get some cheapo PVA - not the waterproof grade - and dilute it 50/50 water. Then stir in whiting until you have a thick smooth paint.
Paint that on, two or three coats and let dry. Sand to marble smooth with 180 grit then 320 grit wet 'n dry paper.
Now you can paint whatever on top.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I might just try that myself, sounds great!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Likewise, thanks Dermot! I'm going to give that a go soon. :clap:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The PVA recipe is very interesting. I once tried painting some dried PVA and the paint didn't seem to adhere to well, so I
formed the impression that it was no-go as a binder for paint. It just so happens that I am at present doing a bit of wall-repairing
so I have a small bucket of diluted Unibond on hand. :D I have also found a tub of gilder's whiting that I've had for donkeys years
so I try the mixture and see what occurs....
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have a friend who is a painter and general building maintenance man and he mixes PVA into powder filler after he has made up the filler with water, when he wants a smooth finish ready to paint on to. I observed him do this on the building next to my new shop and asked about this. I was quite surprised how much smoother it made the filler. Interesting idea!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer