Crumbling art work

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Crumbling art work

Post by whitbyframer »

So I was asked by a regular customer if I could tart some of her old painting up with new mounts etc, just as I've done for her a few times now. They were obviously old frames but I took on the job anyway. I took one apart today with no issues, but the other one which was the older of the two posed problems.
After removing the rusted panel pins from the back, most of which simply snapped, and peeling away what was left of the backing paper, I carefully began to remove the backing board - which then began to crumble in my hands and tear across the middle. It wasn't until I took the backing board out that I realised it was actually the art board that the painting was painted on!
This is going to be an interesting discussion with the customer. Any one else had this problem?
prospero

Re: Crumbling art work

Post by prospero »

Yeah. The old 'strawboard' that was used in that era will degenerate very badly. There isn't a lot you can do.
A skilled restorer may be able to do something, but it would be an expensive exercise. If it's oil paint you stand a better
chance as the paint layer may be removable intact and remounted on a new substrate. If it's watercolour then far more tricky.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
whitbyframer
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

Thanks Prospero
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This is not as uncommon as you might suppose. I'm based in one of the wetter counties in england and a lot of the housing stock around here is multiple centuries old and where probably damp when the were new. I see jobs like this from time to time, but fortunately not particularly often. I've not had one that is literally falling apart, but it does get pretty close.

So here's the basic outcome. Anything which has crumbled into such small bits that you cannot recognise where they came from and therefore how to reasseble the bits, those bits are going to be lost. I may be possible to hide small bits missing at an edge by hiding them behind a mount, or perhaps trimming off the damaged area, if the customer is happy for this to be done. If this is the case the customer often can't be bothered.

After thoughly drying out the artwork, what's left may not be so weak and crumbly, so consolidating of the substate may be a viable thing to consider doing, this does not necessarily mean that the artwork does not need the addition of extra support. You'd be surprised how bad some things can be and still be saved, but the cost of saving this is not something that you can determine yourself. You will need a conservator to look at this and give an opinion of the viability for repair and the cost to do so.

In future, if there is any chance that you might be dealing with a similar problem, try to remove the artwork and the glass together, thereby allowing the glass to support the artwork, while removing it from the frame. In cases like this it is best to open the frame and examine the artwork while the customer is with you.

As you will see from by profile, my Interests are: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day. In short, a significant part of my reputation has been built on fixing things that no one else anywhere near me wants to touch. I do all my own restoration work, but if you can use a skilled conservator, or restorer to help save customers artworks and other items, you can still gain a reputation for providing such a service and this may add to your own kudos.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
whitbyframer

Post by whitbyframer »

Thanks Mark. Valuable lessons in there.

To me it looked like the art board had like a dry rot as it flaked apart and a crack ran across the actual picture. My wife did comment on the potential profit in learning how to restore work such as this, but not sure if I've got the skills, or the patience.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would not recommend that you try restoring it yourself. It also takes experience, techniques and equipment.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer