Tiles

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Tiles

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I had a customer bring in two of these delft style tiles in these frames. The frames got damaged so she wants to replace them.

The tiles seem glued to strips of foamcore which seems glued into the frame.

Hesitant to prise it out with a screwdriver in case I break the tiles. Wondered if lighter fluid might dissolve the glue enough but no success so far. Maybe lighting it and letting the frame burn off would work... :twisted:

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMAG2092.jpg
IMAG2092.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
IMAG2091.jpg
IMAG2091.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Tiles

Post by Steve N »

Can't you just cut the foamcore out of the frames,the foamcore can then be stripped back off the back of the tiles and replace with new foamcore if needed
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

That was my first thought but can't get anything in under the foamcore to cut it...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Could you run a blade down the centre of the foamcore and start pulling it away from there?

Just thinking ahead to when you make new frames for the tiles, I can't see why they shouldn't be framed as normal i.e. tile, back board, rigid points and tape? I wouldn't be gluing new foamboard back in place.

Hope you get them out oK :sweating:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've this sort thing before and I suspect that they may be produced like this to sell to the tourists. The foamboard is probably stuck to the tile with silicone adhesive and then the foamboard is also stuck into the frame again with silicone. trying to cut through the silicone adhesive is a real struggle and I can understand the trouble this must be causing.

I see that there is only one wedge in each corner, I think that I would saw off most of each corner with a saw and ease the frame apart one side at a time. I also assume that a little damage around the edges of the foamboard may prove to be unavoidable. If you choose the new frame moulding to have enough depth to accommodate another backing board to hide the damage to the edges of the foamboard, the job should be a good one!

BTW, some of these tiles tend to be made from plaster and not clay, so treat them as potentially easy to damage.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer