Need your views and opinions

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Need your views and opinions

Post by David McCormack »

Could substitute 'bespoke' for 'custom' or 'professional' maybe?
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

FRAMERS CAPTURE MEMORIES FOR YOU
Pictures and much more.......come and see.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You have to assume when advertising that the people who read it are all idiots. :lol:

If you put 'Framers' a lot of people would not associate this with pictures.

Type 'Framing' into goooogle and you'll get a load of window companies and builders. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

Ironic innit, I can remember when Boots offered a framing service and before all the old Edwadian shops left our high streets, I was picking up pictures with their names on in the antique sales.

Now the franchises that sprang up on the tail end of the framing boom, with names like Frame Art, Frame Works and Frame workshop would be a distant memory had a few more enterprising franchisees survived. Or am I wrong, my apologies if I am. The irony is a decline that requires this topic, Many have found niche products, markets and identities in the interim, but how much do those large companies, who sell to these smaller retail out lets value them in recording and preserving historical knowledge that could go onto expand the technique base of the framer of tomorrow.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

David McCormack wrote:Could substitute 'bespoke' for 'custom' or 'professional' maybe?

I believe the word Professional is best. It flatters the buyer that they are using a professional framer.

Thanks for all who have made suggestions
I'm now choosing the best 2 strap lines

One intended to be used on a cars back window.
The other more suitable for the window of a frame shop.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

David McCormack wrote:Complete the picture... get it framed!
Search for Bespoke Picture Framers in your area.
I like it. As previously mentioned, the message has to be short and sweet and get into the head of the potential client.

Regarding a generic message not benefiting my business, that is nonsense! Each of us do NOT operate in a vacuum - but rather live in the real world, where our competitor is NOT the two other framers down the road...it is the ignorance of the consumer, when they go to their artistic friend who might cut a mount for them and tape it into a frame. It is those that live in a fairly posh neighborhood, have two new motors in the drive, but have absolutely NOTHING on the walls as they really don't know where to go or don't know what to purchase....somewhat clueless. :cry: In North America, we also loose a portion of the market to those that think they can shop these products online or at Big Box stores. :xcomputer:

The number of potential customers is diminishing today, so ANY marketing that stimulates and gets people to think about what is on their walls is definitely worthwhile.

Here is a banner in front of our business (Black & White) from this past Winter...

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Very sorry John, but your statement "Regarding a generic message not benefiting my business, that is nonsense! " is let down with the example image you have posted, It's right out side your shop and has your shop name on it. If you just put a generic message in the back window of your car, then the following car driver could think, "Hey I have a picture to frame, must stop at the Big Box on the way home" :sweating: :giggle:

If you have your own message in the back window, you can have your phone number, email , web address, even QR barcode, so when parked up passing people can scan it

I agree that the consumer has to be educated, which is why i thing the Guild could do more
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Worth noting too, the original window sticker referenced is also not generic advertising. Definitely branded...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Steve N wrote:Very sorry John, but your statement "Regarding a generic message not benefiting my business, that is nonsense! " is let down with the example image you have posted, It's right out side your shop and has your shop name on it...
Steve, Of course it is branded but my point in posting that image was not to make compare it to a bumper sticker but to illustrate that a simple statement can be thought provoking. :!:
Steve N wrote: ...I agree that the consumer has to be educated, which is why i thing the Guild could do more
Regardless if it is Keith Hewitt producing a bumper sticker, the FATG or Peterboro Mountboards, the main message if kept simple and to the point will be read. The sponsor has little to do with it. For example, if you think about many really clever TV adverts that make you laugh....and yet you may not even recall the product?

Keep moving forward Keith.... I wouldn't be surprised if the FATG or a UK firm helps sponsor your effort. (Hopefully they are listening.) :clap:
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

What are you still doing up John, I didn't expect to get a reply so quick,
by the way, congratulations on reaching the big 40 years
Steve CEO GCF (020)

David McCormack

Steve N wrote:What are you still doing up John, I didn't expect to get a reply so quick,
John is only 6 hours being UK time!

I don't see a problem with Keith's generic car stickers. He is aiming them at people who would never think of getting anything framed. Once the seed has been sown by a snappy message then yes, they may go and buy an empty frame from 'ick-ear' or they could visit a professional framer, but the point is they are now considering getting something framed whereas before it hadn't even entered their head.

They are now a potential customer and it's up to each individual framer to tempt customers into their studies or shops....... :clap:

If you already advertise your business then that's great. But if you don't then what harm can these stickers do, even if there are three framing shops in your street? Once somebody thinks they should get a picture framed then you have a one in three chance of them walking into your shop whereas before you had no chance, the same as the other two framers!!
Oliver Hardy.
David McCormack

David McCormack wrote:into their studies or shops.......
That should be studios :oops:

Oliver Hardy.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote:For example, if you think about many really clever TV adverts that make you laugh....and yet you may not even recall the product?
I think you're confusing generic advertising with branding strategy. There are plenty of companies that have a branding strategy which promotes a lifestyle, for instance, that they want their customers to associate with, and they spend millions of pounds promoting that association. But I cannot think of a single company that spends its budget on commercials that say "buy some washing powder (or whatever), it doesn't matter whose and we're not going to tell you which washing powder we sell or why we think it's the best".

Branded car or shop window stickers can promote both framing and the framer - they are not mutually exclusive messages.

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the FATG or a UK firm helps sponsor your effort.
Sponsors normally want to have their own branding on anything they sponsor.

These generic stickers may suit some people and not others, but it's why I asked if there was a known demand for them. Must be my marketing background coming out :D

If these stickers are free for the framer to use, then I dare say some framers will be glad of them. The test of how useful framers think they are is whether they would pay for them or not.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Rainbow wrote:...I think you're confusing generic advertising with branding strategy. There are plenty of companies that have a branding strategy which promotes a lifestyle, for instance, that they want their customers to associate with, and they spend millions of pounds promoting that association. But I cannot think of a single company that spends its budget on commercials that say "buy some washing powder (or whatever), it doesn't matter whose and we're not going to tell you which washing powder we sell or why we think it's the best".
Branded car or shop window stickers can promote both framing and the framer - they are not mutually exclusive messages.
He Rainbow, I don't think that anyone is saying that a solid retail business should not be promoting their own merits and market themselves to their potential community.... but also catching the attention of the broad public with a sticker as Keith is proposing does no harm and only good....a thought provoking mission perhaps??

Rainbow wrote: Sponsors normally want to have their own branding on anything they sponsor. These generic stickers may suit some people and not others, but it's why I asked if there was a known demand for them. Must be my marketing background coming out :D

If these stickers are free for the framer to use, then I dare say some framers will be glad of them. The test of how useful framers think they are is whether they would pay for them or not.
I'm not sure if you realize that the sticker that Keith uses as a model was actually made by a manufacturer and given away at NO CHARGE to his retail customers to use as they desired.... No charge... not to market hard core, but to simply stimulate thought and encourage the customers to contemplate Custom/Bespoke Framing.

This program or concept by no means should replace a dedicated and budgeted marketing and advertising plan by any retail custom framer, but any effort / scheme to stimulate the economy and framing awareness of the consumer should be met with enthusiasm by anyone and everyone engaged in the industry.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Rainbow

The stickers will be free.
It never entered my head to ever think of charging for them.
Keith Hewitt
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: I'm not sure if you realize that the sticker that Keith uses as a model was actually made by a manufacturer and given away at NO CHARGE to his retail customers to use as they desired.... No charge... not to market hard core, but to simply stimulate thought and encourage the customers to contemplate Custom/Bespoke Framing.
Customers who will likely look at their website and find out why their materials are best then be looking for these materials when they go to the framers...

Surely that's very much branded advertising?
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

A recap.... here are all the suggestions in one place.
I've also been asking much younger people for their suggestions and these are included below

========================================================================

Got a picture - then take it to your local picture framer

Preserve your art and memories with professional picture framing

See it. Like it. Frame it

A picture is worth 1000 words. FRAME IT

Complete the picture. Get it framed. Search for a professional picture framer in your area

Picture framers capture memories for you

Picture framing enhances your past, present and future

Get your pictures framed by a professional. Look for this sign …… ( The FATG logo + GCF )
==================================================================================

I will now get on with selecting the best and get some pricing for the printing.
Keith Hewitt
David McCormack

Keith Hewitt wrote:Get your pictures framed by a professional. Look for this sign …… ( The FATG logo + GCF )
If you include the FATG logo, then that rules me out for a free car sticker! :shock:
Oliver Hardy.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

David McComack wrote
"
If you include the FATG logo, then that rules me out for a free car sticker! :shock:"

I would think most members of the forum as well :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)

poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Including me :(