Ready-mix Filler for Mitre Joints?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveAndrews
Organisation: Dave Andrews Artist
Interests: Art

Ready-mix Filler for Mitre Joints?

Post by DaveAndrews »

I'm in the process of making about 40 frames (straight from raw moulding) for my wife's exhibition. Not being a brilliant joiner I need a filler for gaps and nicks etc. I've already tried a two part filler and a ready-mix filler the joiners that did our kitchen gave me. The joiners filler was easiest to use but cracks when used along the mitre joints. The two-part is best but hard to handle and I can only get a few frames done before it hardens and is a devil to sand flush. What I think I need is a ready-mix filler as good as (or nearly as good as) the the two-part, that doesn't require me having to mix in a catalyst. Any suggestions, thanks. (UK btw)
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Ready-mix Filler for Mitre Joints?

Post by fusionframer »

Depending on size of gaps, if not massive, then i would use glue mixed with a bit of sawdust from mouldings. You can always sand an offcut. If you fill gap with this, then sand over carefully, the gap should go and there is no issue over colour matching
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
DaveAndrews
Organisation: Dave Andrews Artist
Interests: Art

Post by DaveAndrews »

Thanks for your reply, that sounds like it would be flexible enough to withstand flexing, expansion and contraction? My main issue with the filler has been cracks appearing at the joint in the filler. Also the difficulty of using the 2 part filler for multiple frames. Colour matching isn't an issue as I'm painting the frames.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Sorry I'm not getting at you, but there is an elephant in the room, improve your technique for cutting and joining, then you would not be spending a lot of time filling joints , prevention is better than cure, take an hour to set up your morso and underpinner , so you don't get big gaps

Just had a look at your past posts, and I see you are using a electric saw, if I was in the same position, I would follow fusionframer's advise

Again I'm not getting at you, so please do not take offence
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

For small gaps and general blending I use Screwfix 'No Nonsense' brand fine surface filler.

For bigger gaps there is 'No Nonsense' non-solvented cartridge glue (also Screwfix). I find this very good. As well as
filling a multitude of sins, unlike polyfiila-type stuff it's also a glue so will go some way to reinforcing iffy joints.
It is not so good to sand, but sets really hard and is paint-friendly.

:D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Another take on fusionframer's idea is to lightly sand the joint just after you have glued and pinned it. Any small gaps will get filled with the sawdust and mix in with the glue. Only good for small gaps though and anything bigger then I agree with Steve and the elephant!

However, if you can't avoid gaps in your corners then a simple wood filler like this ought to be ok? Claims to be flexible and easy to sand and can be used straight from the tub without mixing. Got to be easier than mixing a two part filler.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/