Moving Morso F in saloon car

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mickeyluv
Organisation: Hobbyist
Interests: Music, electronics, woodwork

Moving Morso F in saloon car

Post by Mickeyluv »

I have a VW Passat saloon car and I'm on the lookout for a Morso model F. Can anyone tell me if it's straightforward to split the base from the top, and would it be possible to load the top in the boot and the base on the back seat? I've had to be quite inventive in moving woodworking equipment over the years due to limited transport and assistance. I understand the need to remove the blades but I can't quite see from the parts list how the top would remove.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Moving Morso F in saloon car

Post by GeoSpectrum »

The body minus the arms should fit, just rather awkward to get in and out due to the weight. And it jut so happens I have one for sale! PM me if interested and I'll sort out some photos. I'm in west Lincolnshire.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Rather you than me :sweating: :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would avoid taking it apart. Never heard of anyone ever doing this. :roll:

Whichever way you load it in the car, make sure it is very securely strapped down. You maybe won't be able to
do this in a car. Not a happy thought, but if you had an accident with the machine loose the consequences don't bear thinking about. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Steve, where's your sense of adventure :P

I agree with prospero, you should take no chances with the morso.

The last morso I moved was in a large estate car, along with the morso came a pistorius under pinner, two very heavy bits of kit. :shock:

The problem was not the transporting but the loading. The seller was more disabled than me :o in fact we only had one good leg and three good arms between us :Slap: it took us two hours to load up :sweating:

Welcome to the FF by the way :D

Peter.
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Hi

I agree with Peter. I purchased a used Morso and transported it a large estate car. Getting it in was a pig but once in it was ok. I found getting it out far harder. I had put it in top first, having to get it out bottom first. I felt it may have been easier to get out top first. But then I am known to be awkward :roll:
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

I've transported heavier and bulkier machinery than a Morso, but have needed to remove as much weight as possible and then split the major parts and reassemble in my workshop. Hence my question about whether the top section easily comes off, as this would be better for me and reduce the potential for damaging my car.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

This is why transport companies exist :head:
They move stuff safely, and professionally.
And have tailgates, and pumper trucks to aid at each end.

May cost a bit, but saves you a lot of grief. :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

could just hire a van for the day, that's what I did, my godson came and gave a hand to help load and unload, even easier with a pair sack trucks
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

None of this is helpful. I merely asked if the top could be split off and thought this would be a good place to ask. From the manual it looks like remove the blades, remove the actuator rod nut from the pedal and then take out the attachment bolts for the top casting and pull it away. I'll figure it out myself.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

The great thing about this forum is that members who have a host of knowledge and 10's of years of experience are willing to give advise to new/ in-experience members about techniques and experiences that they have learned the hard way

Taking the top part of the Morso off could work, but the time it might save is far out weighed bu the time it will take to put together and re-calibrate. It will take two people to put it in a saloon car, and get it out, I would not do it as I value my back too much, because I can't afford not being able to work due to a bad back
Steve CEO GCF (020)

David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Sorry Mickeyluv, but this won't be helpful to you, but I agree with Keith and Steve about a hiring a van or using a transport company.

But if you want to do it yourself in your car then why not ask the people who put them together, they should know how to take them apart.
http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/contact/contact.html

Good luck :D When you are up and running then please come back and ask for advice on using your Morso as we are a friendly, knowledgeable and experienced bunch of folk who just like to help.... and express our opinions even if they're not always helpful :giggle:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

Thanks,

I've sent them an Email.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I had a peek at my Morso last night and it seems there are four bolts holding the top to the base.
They are accessible from inside the base casing.
Apart from these bolts all you would have to do is detach the tie-bar the links the cutter head to the pedal mechanism.
Simple enough on the face of it. :D It's a two-man job though....

Good Luck. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

Thanks for taking a look - much appreciated. A few weeks ago I had a professional heavy-removal company transport something that I could have done myself. My wife said "why keep mauling with stuff when you can pay someone else to do it" and they damaged it so badly even the driver agreed with me. It never even got off the lorry and had to be returned, so that's why I'm back to being self-reliant.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I am not trying to discourage you, but I have moved a lot of heavy things over the years and just want to warn you that some vehicles will carry heavy loads better that others. I am talking about the effect that the extra weight can have on handling, stability and braking distances. Bigger cars usually have more solid suspension compared to smaller cars and really up to date cars have superb braking.

I had the nasty experience of trying turn the steering to go roundabout only to find that I needed to turn the steering a lot more than normal and that the car was leaning a lot more than I felt was safe. I was fortunate not to have been seen by the police and been stopped.

Just be aware that a Morso is still something that's quite heavy to transport and is probably something that would be wise to strap down in case of an accident.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Morso's can be disassembled very easily for ease of car loading/weight distribution i have done it many times before, your only problem with a saloon car is getting the base of the cabinet through the door as this requires a wide opening rear door.
Always remove the blades before taking the Morso apart.
Remove the measuring arm,
Remove the blade block,
Lock the pedal in the down position,
Remove the 4 bolts with a 16mm socket.

Using this method i once had 3 morso and various other bits of equipment in the back of an Octavia (estate)

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
Mickeyluv

Post by Mickeyluv »

I got a reply from Claus Pederson at the factory and the advice is "You need to disconnect the draw bar either from the two screws on top of the knife block or with the nut from the bottom of the draw bar. And then as you say loosen the bolt, which tigthens the table to the frame. And of course - remove the blades before you do anything else."

This was exremely easy and quick - just make sure the knife block is pushed back to give enough clearance to remove the bolts. Removing the two bolts at the top is the best way to detach the draw bar. The knife block is also loose at this point and needs supporting with a block of wood or be pulled out completely.

I could lift off the top (though I did also remove the fences) and the base isn't heavy at all. With two people it would be really easy. The base just needs to lie on a moving blanket and I used the car's tiedowns and piece of board and it didn't shift an inch. This is one of the easiest machinery moves I've done and I'm surprised how relatively light it is compared to most other things I've moved. The machine doesn't way any more than a passenger, so no braking or handling issues whatsoever.
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I moved mine in the car without any problems in an Astra with the back seats down. With two people it was easy to lift and like you say it's no heavier than one passenger really so as long as it's tied down it's fine driving. My Taurus Underpinner on the other hand felt so much heavier than the Morso and was hard work getting that in and out of the car.