Help with Dibond mounted photograph

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Help with Dibond mounted photograph

Post by +Rafe+ »

I have a project to frame a large photograph that has already been mounted on Dibond. The image is 1100 x 391 and comes complete with an aluminium subframe (subframe is 20mm deep and dibond is 3mm).

It is to be shadow float mounted and I'm hoping to get a little guidance as this is the biggest project I've taken on so far and a little daunted.

What is recommend for the backboard, I presume MDF?

The 'glass size' is TBC but I have constraints as I looking to use Arqadia mount AM280754 (which is 800x1200) to face the backboard. This would give only allow me 50mm on each side which then I could replicate for top and bottom or even bottom weight it slightly.

I was planning on facing 5mm Foamboard with this mount to use as spacers, or would wood be better at this size that can be better secured to the frame?

The moulding is Arqadia 441700000.

For glass I had planned to use Artglass 92.

In short, I think I've covered the bases but lacking the crucial detail. Any/all guidance massively appreciated.

Many thanks
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Help with Dibond mounted photograph

Post by JFeig »

If you limit yourself to only "paperboard" mounts you are doing yourself a disservice. Fabric covered mounts and spacers will allow you to expand the size of the finished frame project, and profit.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

You say it comes with an aluminium subframe... is this already bonded to the back of the Dibond? Hopefully not.

If it is then I'm not sure how you would mount this to your mountboard??

Obviously these Dibond mounted photos with the subframes are designed to hang 'floating' directly on a wall and not in a frame. If it is already bonded and you say it has a depth of 20mm plus 3mm for the Dibond then I would think you would want a spacer of 25mm. Add this to 2mm glass, 1.5mm mountboard and a 2.5/3mm back board and you will need a rebate depth of at least 31mm... your Arqadia moulding has a rebate depth of 28mm!

If the subframe is not bonded to the Dibond then I would bond/glue some 5 or 10mm foamboard to the Dibond and then glue that to your mountboard. Ideally your mountboard should have foamboard bonded to the back for rigidity.

I would use wood spacers faced with mountboard... I've never liked foamboard spacers. I normally use Rose & Hollis F2, F3 & F4.

See below for how I'd do it if the subframe is not already bonded to the Dibond.
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1008.jpg (356.87 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks to both of you for your tips, JFeig, I will have a proper look into the method you mention, tbh I'm not too familiar with this technique ... yet!

David, the image is still with the printer and therefore it can be produced without the aluminium subframe and as you say this seem this would make life easier.

With the image size being 1100 x 391 what sort of size FB would you suggest for the 'pedestal', I would have thought 60mm shorter of the lengths of the image?

I stock 2.3 NuBord for back board, in this instance would you think this would be strong/ridged enough?

The first shadow float mount I produced (for myself) I bonded the mount board with titebond wood glue to a MDF back board and used araldite epoxy to bond the foamex mounted picture to an Obeche wood block, which was screwed into the back board... Dirty secrets revealed... :shock: :wink:

Going forward I suspect my previous method/use of glues isn't the best could you suggest the best bonding products you would use in your description.

Finally, thank you (again) for your words of wisdom, really appreciate it, this has been a massive help. :D

Rafe
David McCormack

+Rafe+ wrote:With the image size being 1100 x 391 what sort of size FB would you suggest for the 'pedestal', I would have thought 60mm shorter of the lengths of the image?
I would cut the foamboard pedestal about 30mm smaller all round so the size would be 1040 x 331mm which is what you said!
+Rafe+ wrote:I stock 2.3 NuBord for back board, in this instance would you think this would be strong/ridged enough?
I use this back board all the time and it would be fine for a frame of this size. However, I would put some sort of brace vertically in the middle as it is so long and thin. Something like R&H F5 glued to the back board and then screwed to the frame with mirror plates, see attached photo.

To glue the mountboard to the foamboard support I would use Evacon-R or similar.

As for bonding the Dibond to the foamboard pedestal you could use something like this which they recommend for gluing subframes to Dibond. But to be honest I'm not sure, so perhaps others can help here.

BTW, in my photo it show D-rings and cord and although it was hung on two wall hooks, I would recommend strap hangers as a better choice.
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg (422.6 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Oliver Hardy.
David McCormack

Just thinking, you should talk to your printer. If they normally bond a aluminium subframe to the Dibond panel, then they should be able to bond a wooden batten or similar to the Dibond panel instead. You could then glue the photo to your mountboard/foamboard with Evacon-R or even attach with screws as you have done before?
Oliver Hardy.
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

They can use wooden battens but these are 10mm thick.

Your suggestion of a rear brace I had thought about, your example looks spot on!

Do you think I could get away with 3mm FB for the mountboard backing.

The attached image is of the previous shadow float mounted picture I mentioned. Its 400mm x 400mm and I used a secondary oversized MDF panel that was glued to the MDF backboard this was covered with the mountboard, then screwed into the frame. The Obeche pedestal was screwed and glued onto the mount board and backboard. This is possibly over enginereed and is heavy but it is ridged.

Thanks again for you tips!
Attachments
IMG_7981.jpg
IMG_7981.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
David McCormack

I think you should get your printer to use the 10mm wooden battens (saves you bonding the Dibond to anything) and assemble the frame as you have done before. A bit of over engineering is ok isn't it!? :giggle: It will all fit in your 28mm rebate no problem and if you screw the mdf backing to the frame then that negates the need of a brace on the back. You could even use your Nubord instead of the mdf. I've done that before and covered the edges with gummed tape to hide the grey board centre (see attached).

Is this a project for yourself or a paying customer? Be nice to see a pic of the finished job :D
DSC_6240.jpg
DSC_6240.jpg (503.39 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Oliver Hardy.
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks David, that looks really smart. I like the idea of using Nuboard doubled up, seems like we have a winning solution!

The work I doing recently is all my art work for an exhibition at the end of September, so if the public wish to buy, its all for sale hence why I want to be sure its produced 'correctly'. I am using this exhibition to launch my local framing business too so again I want it to show case the best I can offer.

This is why I wanted to get some advise and double check my approach and materials, specifically the use of MDF and bonding agents...

I really am grateful for you help.

I will be happy to show you the finished results.

Cheers