How to frame a Rob Ryan paper cut/lasercut!!??

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
BeatnikFraming
Organisation: Beatnik Framing
Interests: Photography, music, art, crafts

How to frame a Rob Ryan paper cut/lasercut!!??

Post by BeatnikFraming »

I've been give two Rob Ryan lasercuts to frame and am scratching my head a bit as to how to mount them due to there not being enough paper to use hinges and the hinges would be seen anyway. I've added a couple of pics incase anyone isnt familiar with rob ryans work (the blue one is the one thats loose/not been mounted yet).

One of them has already been stuck down to a piece of mountboard and the other is loose. The customer said he'd like them both framed with a mount. I said I'd look into how I'd mount the loose piece and see if there was a conservation method of doing it.

Now the one that has already been adhered to mount board looks to have been done using a spray mount but only in a few places as its loose at the edges and the paper has cockled slightly. So obviously theres nothing I can do about this one so I'll frame it as is, but I'm at a bit of a loss how to mount the other one. I've looked at a previous post in the forum that suggests sandwiching the artwork between two pieces of glass. The only thing with this though is that the customer wants the two pieces framed the same with a mount, and one is already adhered to mount board.

Any solutions? My initial thoughts are to cut tiny squares of mountboard and use an acid free spray mount to attach a couple in places they would be hidden then these squares could be used to adhere to the backing board with pva. Would this work or am I missing something as to why this would be a bad idea?
Attachments
web1.gif
web1.gif (676.18 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
web2.gif
web2.gif (1.07 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
BeatnikFraming
Organisation: Beatnik Framing
Interests: Photography, music, art, crafts

Re: How to frame a Rob Ryan paper cut/lasercut!!??

Post by BeatnikFraming »

This is the artwork that is already adhered
Attachments
web2.gif
web2.gif (971.66 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Why not sandwich the laser cut between a mountboard and a piece of acrylic and then place a mount over the acrylic?
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I done the odd one, or two of these. Fortunately there were some areas that where large enough to hide some of these double sided adhesive micro dots and place them between two sheets of glass. It worked, but it's not the easiest thing to price a job like this and then work out how you are going to do it afterwards. The micro dots where an after thought and I wished I had charge more, after paying for the micro dots, the delivery and the VAT, I was not making enough profit to cover all the faffing about.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer