Built up frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pichousepreston
Organisation: The Picture House
Interests: Art, framing

Built up frames

Post by pichousepreston »

Hi

Does anyone on here make this style of frame? Just wondering if there is a moulding or two that can be fixed together or if it's just 3 flat pieces of wood?

I've thought of using a couple of canvas box profiles, but the flat bit in the middle wouldn't be wide enough. I'm also aware that Arqadia have brought out a range of profiles, but they're not wide enough.
IMG-20180823-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180823-WA0000.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Built up frames

Post by David McCormack »

I think some folk call that a Nicholson Frame. There has been talk about it before, see this topic..... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11171
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I do a lot of frames in that general ilk.

Just a wide, flat panel edged with two complimentary narrow mouldings. The beauty is that you can vary the design in
an infinite number of ways. (I'm talking hand-finished frames here)

For the flat, I use mostly Rose&Hollis A104/A243. If you flip the over so the rebate is facing up you have a neat little shelf
to locate the inner moulding. There is a plethora of small square mouldings to form the edges.

It's a simple way of creating nice wide contemporary style frames from simple elements.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I call them St. Ives frames,

Here is a variation just two frames fitted to MDF then painted, the MDF has a window cut into to it so the (in this case) the painting on board can be loaded/fixed from the back

The outer frame is cut and joined upside down, then the MDF is glued in, the inner frame, is cut in the normal way glued and screwed on the face of the MDF, then all the corners filled , then painted

Use whatever frames you want, it will depend on the size you are making
20160928_121842.jpg
20160928_121842.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
20160928_125706.jpg
20160928_125706.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
20160929_144537.jpg
20160929_144537.jpg (999.04 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I've seen so many different ways of making these and variations on this simplest of cassetta mouldings.

This is one I make a lot. It uses three Rose and Hollis mouldings, A113 for the inner, F7 for the flat, and A255 for the outer. The overall width is 95mm
Attachments
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG (146.64 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
pichousepreston
Organisation: The Picture House
Interests: Art, framing

Post by pichousepreston »

Thanks everyone. I think that the inner needs to be a canvas box, but can use your idea Richard and fix the canvas box inner to the flat inner section.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've been making these for years. Customers know them by all sorts of names and no names at all. Mostly customers who live here in Devon and buy paintings in Cornwall and want them framed to match others that they've previously bought in Cornwall. I usually try to use mouldings that I already have in stock as much as possible and there's generally a bit of faffing around making them, so be aware of this when you are quoting a price to a customer.

I don't particularly like doing frames like this and I don't much think that they are nice to look at, but customers are convinced that this is the authentic way to frame Cornish pictures so you take the money and get on with it. Personally, I don't like to use MDF for the middle section and use actual wood instead. People generally want them painted white and nobody seems to object when I offer them antique white, so that's seems to be the authentic colour, but probably most whites are considered o.k.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

BTW, I use some 9mm x 94mm tongue and grooved pine, which is stocked by my local hardware shop and comes in handy for plenty of different uses, especially as it cuts down easily on the table saw to whatever width you happen to need at the time.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer