Mount Cardboard

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MarkR32
Organisation: G58 Framing
Interests: Rugby, Food, Family, Framing

Mount Cardboard

Post by MarkR32 »

Hi all,

Hoping you can bring me out the head fog I have got myself into. I have a roughly torn cardboard piece to frame. Customer has asked for it to be glued to the soundboard but I'm a little hesitant to do this. Can the collective suggest a better way? I was thinking dry cold mount but worried it will crush the cardboard.

Thanks all
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Re: Mount Cardboard

Post by misterdiy »

If the customer says glue it then that is what you should do.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Yes, use some wet glue :D A good conservation glue (or even wheat starch paste if you fancy 8) ) will hold it well without the risk of it being crushed under rollers. Some weights will be needed while it dries such as heavy books used with some foam or similar. I always have a bottle of Evacon-R handy for jobs like this.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

misterdiy wrote:If the customer says glue it then that is what you should do.
Yes but, it doesn't feel like the right thing to do at all, they have chosen quite a bright board and should they wish to ever change it ... i would rather it was semi/fully reversible, rather than risk damaging it should they want it redo at any point.
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

David McCormack wrote:Yes, use some wet glue :D A good conservation glue (or even wheat starch paste if you fancy 8) ) will hold it well without the risk of it being crushed under rollers. Some weights will be needed while it dries such as heavy books used with some foam or similar. I always have a bottle of Evacon-R handy for jobs like this.
Thank you, with what it is i just don't want to use PVA or a wet glue and risk damaging the piece. I was also hoping for a semi reversible method but that looks unlikely.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Platform, Sink or Hedgehog :D

If it's window-mounted and you can cover the edges then a platform mount will work and is totally reversible. If the art is thick, as I suspect it is, then a sink mount will be better, also totally reversible.

If it is to be float mounted with the edges visible then it's got to be a hedgehog mount which is reversible with just the paper hinges left in place.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I still thing we are wrong to doubt what the customer wants. he has come into your workshop and asked that you stick the item down onto a board and I still believe that is what you should do. For reversibility use a wheat or rice based starch adhesive, but I wouldn't be going against what the customer has asked you to do.
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

misterdiy wrote:I still thing we are wrong to doubt what the customer wants. he has come into your workshop and asked that you stick the item down onto a board and I still believe that is what you should do. For reversibility use a wheat or rice based starch adhesive, but I wouldn't be going against what the customer has asked you to do.
I completely agree, normally it would be done as per instruction. But ... knowing how much was paid for this piece, I do feel like I have to go back to the customer with options. If it turns out that glue is still preferred then that's what happens.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

MarkR32 wrote:Customer has asked for it to be glued to the soundboard

That'll ruin his piano :giggle:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Write out the customers instructions on the invoice, get them to sign it, both your copy and their copy of the invice , then do as asked
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The customer has asked for it to be glued down. That does not mean that it has to be glued down in such a way that it cannot be removed at an later date. It is not that hard to stick it down with small dots of PVA glue leaving spaces in between where a bone folder can be inserted at a later date and slid sideways to separate the areas where the dots of glue were applied.

I would put a little PVA glue onto a saucer, or something similar and pick up just enough glue on a cotton bud, so that not too much is applied. You don't need very large spots of glue to do this, certainly no more than 3mm in diameter and possibly less. This should if possible / practical be weighted carefully while the PVA sets, Take care not to use too much weight and crush the displayed item.

Having no idea what the item looks like, it is difficult to make recommendations about spacing between the dots, so you will need to decide this for yourself, but something like 20mm to 25 mm between the glue dots will make it possible to insert a small bone folder. You should take into account the likelyhood of distorting the item when removing it using a bone folder, when deciding the spacing of the dots.

Tell the customer what you are intending to do and warn them that there may be consequences if the item is later removed. Write this on the order and get them to sign it indicating their acceptance and absolving you of responsibility for these risks. If they are happy with this, then go ahead and do it!

The durability of a torn piece of cardboard is at best an unknown and even doubtful matter, so the life span of the artwork is anyone's guess!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer