Huge Canvas

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Huge Canvas

Post by DaveJ »

Hi guys Ive had an enquiry regarding displaying a huge canvas at a school its 5 metres long by a metre and a half. I'm thinking maybe on batons and attached some how? Any ideas please? Thank you.
prospero

Re: Huge Canvas

Post by prospero »

Is it stretched or loose?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Hi mate it's loose.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

there is a post on the forum, where a member posted a photo of a very long canvas he had stretched, but I can't find it :head:

I would make a series of stretchers frames and screw them together(along with other battens to add strength) to get the right size, then stretch the canvas on site
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Is this going to be a short term display for some kind of specific event?
If so then presumably the canvas would be rolled up and taken away or even disposed of after the event and would not stay on the frame.
This could change the game as far as design of a stretcher bar arrangement is concerned
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could get the stretcher bars made-to-measure with keyable corners and plenty of cross braces. Most suppliers
that I know of go up to 3m, but you should be able to get oversize ones made. It will likely be quite expensive though....

Or if the painting is going to be unmounted for transport you could knock a frame up from timber and screw it together.
A solid will not allow for re-tensioning though. If it's going to be a permanent installation then keyed bars would be essential.

Single lengths 5m long are gettable. Try Jewsons. My local branch once milled me some moulding from softwood. About 3x2".
Very nice quality, minimal knots and dead straight. One piece was 7m long. :P Wasn't expensive either.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

You might want to consider "tiling lathe" its cheap, treated and obtainable in long lengths.

Peter.
canvasideas
Organisation: Love To Frame
Interests: photography, wine, food, cooking, the occasional real ale in an old English pub

Post by canvasideas »

I would suggest doing it into three sections (I they would allow this) Then fix them together on site, otherwise get some 3" x 3" decent lengths and bevel them and joint them together.

Russ
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

canvasideas wrote
"I would suggest doing it into three sections (I they would allow this) Then fix them together on site, otherwise get some 3" x 3" decent lengths and bevel them and joint them together."

seems a good idea, but when you think about it, you cut into 3 sections, then stretch around stretchers, the bits of canvas you have used to go around the stretchers, will be lost from the paining, there will be two sections missing from the painting

As I said before, I would make 3 stretcher frames, screw them together and stretch on site

There was a program on TV not that long ago about one of the big Gallery/Museum in London, they took down a very large painting (around 4 or 5 meters square), and the stretchers were made in sections,
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

5 metres long is 16.4 ft long. Transporting three of those could be a problem. Perhaps it would be a good start to find out how big will fit into the back of a decent sized van, before choosing the maximum size of each section. Otherwise it might be necessary to hire a haulage contractor.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks guys, I need to go and look at it again, I'll get back to you!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

This a photo of a job I did about 20 years ago for a local artist. If memory serves me, the rails were 1x4's
Attachments
Michigan Library11.jpg
Michigan Library11.jpg (5.33 MiB) Viewed 6265 times
Michigan Library10.jpg
Michigan Library10.jpg (6.42 MiB) Viewed 6265 times
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thank you, thats a big one for sure.
Felicity
Organisation: Makers' Gallery
Interests: Framing is the mainstay of my business. I particularly enjoy the challenge of working with textiles and delicate art works.

Post by Felicity »

JFeig wrote: Tue 09 Oct, 2018 1:00 pm This a photo of a job I did about 20 years ago for a local artist. If memory serves me, the rails were 1x4's
That's quite a stretcher! I think what I'm seeing in the photograph is: 3 individual stretchers each with keyed corners, joined to make one mighty canvas. Then a reverse lip on the back of the canvas to drop over the matching lip set up 'perfectly horizontal' on the wall. Is this right? Now for some questions:

I guess the 3 separate stretchers help with overall rigidity and also handling. Do the keys still work well for tensioning the canvas once they're all joined together?
What is a good way to lock the lip sections together, so the canvas can't be bumped off the rail?

Thanks!
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

The whole assembly was done on site. The 3 sections (strainers - no keyed corners) were assembled in the shop and placed in my van along with the painting that was rolled on a carpet tube.
The 3 sections were bolted together and the canvas was stretched on site in the main hall of the lower level. It was the lifted into place on the French cleats. He was too cheap to pay for keyble stretcher bars.

It was an expensive job due to the ARTIST assisting and helping repack the van............... he placed the carpet tube incorrectly in the van and then shut the back door with the tube breaking the front windscreen. :evil: He did not angle the tube diagonally as I did when I loaded the van. He did not offer to pay for the windscreen.
Jerome Feig CPF®
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

The whole assembly was done on site. The 3 sections (strainers - no keyed corners) were assembled in the shop and placed in my van along with the painting that was rolled on a carpet tube.
The 3 sections were bolted together and the canvas was stretched on site in the main hall of the lower level. It was the lifted into place on the French cleats. He was too cheap to pay for keyble stretcher bars.

It was an expensive job due to the ARTIST assisting and helping repack the van............... he placed the carpet tube incorrectly in the van and then shut the back door with the tube breaking the front windscreen. :evil: He did not angle the tube diagonally as I did when I loaded the van. He did not offer to pay for the windscreen.
Jerome Feig CPF®