Pistorius V-Nailer VN-A2 Maintenance

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
HalM

Pistorius V-Nailer VN-A2 Maintenance

Post by HalM »

Hi,

I have been using a Pistorius V-Nailer VN-A2 for several years now. Recently it is starting to have a few problems. Once the clamping pressure is activated to hold a moulding, is has become very difficult to move the vnailer driver guide block forward and backward. I know the inside of the unit does need a cleaning but, the surface is clean and the nailer is oiled. I'm wondering if it has to do with dirt buildup inside the unit, or if something is wearing out. I have been using the same amount of air pressure as before, when everything was working OK.

A second problem that has happened just recently is the vnails are not being driven fully into the moulding. They protrude just a small amount from the surface.

I'm starting to wonder if these two issues might be related. And, if it is time for a good cleaning and maintenance check. I haven't taken anything apart yet to investigate further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hal
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Pistorius V-Nailer VN-A2 Maintenance

Post by poliopete »

Welcome to the Framers Forum Hal :D

I had a Pistorius underpinner for about a month a could not get rid of it quick enough so I can't be of any help to you with advice. :(

No doubt someone will be along pointing you in the direction of "The Grumble" based in the USA. There are plenty of Pistorius user there that will help.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Pistorius V-Nailer VN-A2 Maintenance

Post by Not your average framer »

Pneumatic underpinners which have separate clamping and wedge firing cylinders tend to have pneumatic valves which perform logic functions and timing functions, so the problems you are encountering may be less straight forward when it comes to diagnosing exactly what is going on. Cleaning without dismantling is a good first move and blowing out any loose debris with an air line will help remove bits that may have fallen inside and are getting in the way of the normal operation moving parts.

There is usually something that senses the wedge being fired and reaching the end of the firing stroke and to initiate the return stroke, this may be obstructed by some foreign debris cause the firing stroke to not be fully completed, or there may be some means of adjusting the end position of the firing stoke which has moved out of adjustment, or worked loose over time. I'm not that sure that you should go all that far trying to readjust things yourself without some detailed information that what you are doing is the right thing to do.

After giving it a good clean and checking that nothing is jammed, or sticking, I think it's probably time to call someone with professional experience who knows how to trouble shoot this machine and determine what needs fixing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer