Old.morso

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Daveyo
Organisation: Market frames
Interests: Walking

Old.morso

Post by Daveyo »

Are the older morsos with the measurements etched into the machine bed worth a look?
I've just seen an older 70's machine in seemingly good nick with two sets of blades for £250...
The 'scale looks a little difficult to read and was wondering if it could be updated? Or am I being too fussy? We need to get upto speed pretty quickly as we need to be producing 50 to 100 frames a week....
Sorry for the basic questions but this is all a bit new to me... Dave
Daveyo

Re: Old.morso

Post by Daveyo »

Hope this photo works....
Attachments
20181007_122155.jpg
20181007_122155.jpg (7.01 MiB) Viewed 4035 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't worry too much about the scale. It is not rocket science to measure the back of the moulding with digital
calipers, double the readout and add on the the rebate length you need. Even the main scale can be replaced by a engineer's
steel rule, simply stuck on. As long as the cutting action is sound you will have a decent machine.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Daveyo

Post by Daveyo »

prospero wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the scale. It is not rocket science to measure the back of the moulding with digital
calipers, double the readout and add on the the rebate length you need. Even the main scale can be replaced by a engineer's
steel rule, simply stuck on. As long as the cutting action is sound you will have a decent machine.
Really appreciate your help.
Going into something you know little about is a bit daunting.
Myself and my buisness partner are fairly diy handy so used to working with our hands but want to start on the right foot... looks like were going to be busy boys.... :clap:
Dave
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Looking at that scale, it looks in good condition to me. It looks like you have cleaned the bed up as I can see the scales from the photo. I would snap their hand off at £250, as long as the rest is in good order as Prospero says. Ask for a demo before you take it away to see whether the corners join.
Daveyo

Post by Daveyo »

No, not touched it!
The chap i knew (who sadly has passed away used it very little) bought it in 1978... we cut a couple of mitres in a small wooden frame and it cut fine considering the blades probably havent been sharped in years.
Its quite oily as it was used in the chaps garage and i think to preserve it he oiled everything.... we'll give it a good clean up sharpen the blades and have a play.... will look into recommended routine maintenace.
Will a second stop 'fit' on older machines?
Ta d
prospero

Post by prospero »

It looks a lot cleaner than mine. :oops: 1984 vintage, bought new from Ashworth&Thompson. £610 inc vat. :D

If there was a contest for the Muckiest Morso I would scoop the pot. :lol:
Daveyo

Post by Daveyo »

prospero wrote:It looks a lot cleaner than mine. :oops: 1984 vintage, bought new from Ashworth&Thompson. £610 inc vat. :D

If there was a contest for the Muckiest Morso I would scoop the pot. :lol:
Im not sure if thats reasuring or not ... :D
Have you done anything to 'pimp' it or it it standard? Just wondering if the second stop fits? Or any tips...
The guards are missing on this but i think we can fabricate something ... theres not lh extension but again we can sort that and no chute.... guess what... we can sort that out....
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

The image of the Morso has on just uploaded :? Pictures take an age on my old steam PC. It looks fine to me.

My first Morso was £125. and did not have a scrap of paint yet it served me well for around 30 years until I sold my business. As far as I know it's still in use.

As Misterdiy said "snap their hand off" :giggle:
Daveyo

Post by Daveyo »

Deal done.... now working on an underpinner.... d
prospero

Post by prospero »

Daveyo wrote: Im not sure if thats reasuring or not ... :D
Have you done anything to 'pimp' it or it it standard? Just wondering if the second stop fits? Or any tips...
The guards are missing on this but i think we can fabricate something ... theres not lh extension but again we can sort that and no chute.... guess what... we can sort that out....
Not a lot of pimping. :lol:

The scale is much the same as one you would buy today. No guards though.

One thing I did get was an automatic reabte support setter kit. Clever bit of kit, it holds the supports at a constant distance from the
fences so they don't bind in the channel when you advance/retract the blades. New Morsos have pre-drilled holes in the cutter block
to take this device. I had to drill mine. ** I have a photo and when I find it I'll post it. :P