Noob - Not Noob - Seeks to Mat/Frame from Home as a Hobby

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
maitai11
Organisation: Federal Firefighter/Paramedic
Interests: Matting and framing mostly Ty Wilson prints, overhauling vintage American-made pocket watches, working on motorcycles and cars, spending time with my loved one's, including my cat, Aja, firefighting/paramedicine, living life well.

Noob - Not Noob - Seeks to Mat/Frame from Home as a Hobby

Post by maitai11 »

Hi Everyone!

Second post here, please see my intro here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=16847.

I used to have a DIY facility to work at, but alas, no more. I'm ready (and, quite frankly, I need to start) framing stuff from home...who knows, but it will be a hobby for the time being. I'm looking to get started, and good hobbyist equipment is what I'm after...that's where your recommendations could really help ;)

I've completed up through 18" x 24" prints and perhaps slightly larger mat/frame jobs (with the 3" or 4" additional mat, of course.) Ty Wilson is my favorite artist and also a good friend. My fifth print I get to frame by him will be Puppy Love, and you can view it here: https://tywilson.com/collections/romanc ... ntic-art-6. Each of his other prints have mostly been done in a six-layered black lacquer frame with suede top mat and a quarter-inch reveal red mylar...the guy who showed me the technique was amazing. I will upload a frame/mat/print or two when I get a chance. What I need help with is picking good, reasonable, (not junk) equipment that will get me started...I have money to spend where it's necessary and prudent. Here's a little more information about my particular situation:

My Personal Resources
- I have matted and framed enough to do it myself...with a few "tools" like mat calculators, etc. - I know these are online. It's been awhile, but I'll be going very slowly...
- I happen to have a little high-functioning autism, so I know **exactly** what I want when it comes to aesthetics...but I'm open to ideas, whether I use them, or not. However, when it comes to equipment, I'm all ears and will gladly accept any recommendation...thanks in advance ;)
- Compound miter saw, and the ability to safely use it.
- Drills/drivers
- An air upholstery stapler that MIGHT BE ABLE to be used...with different staples...for smaller work. I could also buy a new air tool to get the job done...just not sure what...
- An air compressor
- The makings of framing/matting such as double-sided tape, blades, rulers (although the mat cutters have those, I'm aware,) etc. Whatever I don't have that's small, I can pick up in town or online.

What I Think I Need
- If possible, a sturdy FOLDABLE/storable work surface/table. I currently only have a 6' long table, but it's not the correct height.
- A GOOD mat cutter
- 90-degree miter clamp so I can join/glue/staple or hammer joint fasteners into the corners of frames...I think I would need one that clamps onto the side of whatever table I use...I actually have a workbench that might be OK for assembling frames.

Additional Resources Available to Me
- I met a nice lady inside an "everything" store - they do mailing, FEDEX/UPS, property management, and PICTURE FRAMING, too. I can either get my materials from them, in Reno, or online. One thing I MAY ask is to work out some sort of per-use fee for using their vacuum press...I think they just might be open to the idea. If they're not, t-hinging will most-likely be the way I mount, going forward.
- Locally available frames (limited.) I'll buy by the foot and cut to my own standards
- Locally available mats (limited.) I'll buy full sheets of acid-free mat board/foam board, etc.

What's Not on the Table, So-To-Speak
- For now, I'm just looking to get square/rectangular stuff done. No CNC machines or anything fancy like that YET. If I get bit by the bug, who knows? I've never done a shadow box, but I may at some point.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that's enough to get started. But I must say up front that I am beyond thankful for whatever advice, request for more info, and/or help folks like you (who share on these forums) give to people like me - who are just getting started and in need of this kind of assistance.

I look forward to communicating, and I'll try to dig up some photos of previous work I've done.

Many, many thanks to you all,

Maitai
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Noob - Not Noob - Seeks to Mat/Frame from Home as a Hobb

Post by poliopete »

Hi Maitai

Thats an exstensive list of kit you require and it may well pay you to purchase in your home country, USA rather than ship stuff all the way from here, the UK.

Have a look on "The Grumble" a framers site based in the USA. They have plenty of framers equipment for sale and the members are very helpful.

Good luck.

Peter.
maitai11
Organisation: Federal Firefighter/Paramedic
Interests: Matting and framing mostly Ty Wilson prints, overhauling vintage American-made pocket watches, working on motorcycles and cars, spending time with my loved one's, including my cat, Aja, firefighting/paramedicine, living life well.

Re: Noob - Not Noob - Seeks to Mat/Frame from Home as a Hobb

Post by maitai11 »

OH, I'M SO SORRY! I had no idea your forum was based in the UK - and thank you for the information on "The Grumble." I read something about them briefly, but wasn't sure the name fit the discipline ;) Many thanks!

Maitai