Belt Medals to frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Judders
Organisation: Midlands UK
Interests: Painting, Picture framing. Family history

Belt Medals to frame

Post by Judders »

Been asked to frame a set of 5 belt medals which are heavy and each measures about 3 inches by 2 inches.
Thinking of nesting behind 5 rectangular windows mount and supporting by 10mm foam core board. They would by wired to a back board. What do you think any ideas please. See pictures attached. The finished frame 20 inches square in a black deep rebate moulding with black spacer around to support the mount board at a distance from the glass.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg (254.33 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg (221.35 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Belt Medals to frame

Post by Not your average framer »

I have not done this for a long time now, but I used to use 15 amp fuse wire from time to time for holding various items in place, I think this was something I picked up from Pete Bingham, but it's hard to remember these days. I think more hardware and older electrical shops would still sell this.

If you're thinking of using wire this might be helpful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I think the way you are going to do it is fine, much the same way as I would do them, another way is much the same, but you could cover the mount (which you are attaching the buckles to) with felt/ velvet , use wadding under the material, then when you attach the buckles they will be cushioned and look plush, similar to when you see necklaces in presentation boxes on the Antiques Road Show. You could also cover the top mount in the same material.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Judders
Organisation: Midlands UK
Interests: Painting, Picture framing. Family history

Post by Judders »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply re using felt or velvet padded, over back mount, love that idea!
I was going to use black foam core board but think that a felt covering would look even better.
I will still push the belt pin through into the foam board and the buckle to secure at the back.
Best regards
Judders