Mount bonded to print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tom Chambers
Organisation: Framed By TC
Interests: Photography

Mount bonded to print

Post by Tom Chambers »

Hi, I am working on a re-framing job for a family member. I have found that the print is sandwiched between the mount board and a backing board :oops: . Not exactly sure how it has been done but initial attempt to separate was not proving easy. The family member has said just cut it out around the existing mount, but I would like to try and get the old mount off without cutting the print.

Any suggestions on what might help to prise the mount off with little or no damage to the print (or cutting it out is what family member will do).

Thanks
Tom
prospero

Re: Mount bonded to print

Post by prospero »

Is it quite an old frame? The done thing in the past was to glue the mount on with lashings of hot 'horses hoof' glue. :o
It's messy but it dries to resemble brittle toffee which can be persuaded.
What you need is an artist's palette knife (metal one) which you can slip in between the mount/backing (from the outside) and give a twist.
Work along very carefully and you can usually separate the two bits without damaging the print.

Same goes for doublestick tape.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tom Chambers

Post by Tom Chambers »

Yes Prospero, it is about 30 years old and from what I can see at one part I have managed to open, could be what was used. Will gently try that technique tomorrow and see how I get on.

Thanks for the quick response.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I tend to do it another way, with a knife (rounded end such as a butter knife) gently prise back the mount at the window, using the knife, to lift the mount away from the print, doing it this way, if the print starts to tear, it will tear to the outer edge of the print, and not to the centre, you can see what is happening and are more in control, as you are pulling the mount away, it will crease and tear, that's okay, it's sacrificial, as you are going to remount the print ( I take it, otherwise why take the old mount off :giggle:) the is most probably quite brittle, which make taking it off much easier
That is the way I do it and never get any problems
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tom Chambers

Post by Tom Chambers »

Steve N wrote:I tend to do it another way, with a knife (rounded end such as a butter knife) gently prise back the mount at the window, using the knife, to lift the mount away from the print, doing it this way, if the print starts to tear, it will tear to the outer edge of the print, and not to the centre, you can see what is happening and are more in control, as you are pulling the mount away, it will crease and tear, that's okay, it's sacrificial, as you are going to remount the print ( I take it, otherwise why take the old mount off :giggle:) the is most probably quite brittle, which make taking it off much easier
That is the way I do it and never get any problems
Will see if I can get enough purchase to go from inside out, as can see benefits of going that way incase it does tear. Challenge might be getting enough of gap, but an interesting morning and all good learning for me.

Really appreciate the support we get from this forum.

Thanks
Tom
Tom Chambers

Post by Tom Chambers »

Update: I managed to separate the mount (was stuck with double sided tape on to the actual print (not the backing board) :head: Used an old blade from mount cutter and carefully slid from inside out then used bone to help keep mount up. Managed to get it completed off, a little damage :sweating: but away from area of print that will be seen (fading to print means I have to make new mount same size as old). I should say that this is for a family member who said cut the print out, so have managed to get it done without doing that.

Thanks for advice gents.
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

well done Tom
always a nervous process doing this.
hopefully you'll get some praise from the customer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

thanks for the up-date, good to hear you managed to do it without much damage :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/