Help

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
eileen
Organisation: Cristeph Gallery letterkenny
Interests: socializing, singing, family time.

Help

Post by eileen »

Can anyone advise me on how to stick Childs ( Hand and Feet outprints) made in Plaster to mount board, I have tried No More nails but no success. ( they are slightly Heavy ) Thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Help

Post by Not your average framer »

Mountboard is not really the stuff for carrying anything which has any weight as it can sag, or delaminate over time, so a good best idea. Mountboard manufacturers don't specify how strong a mountboard is, so it's all guess work, particularly if you are gluing something which has any weight at all on to the facing paper.

May I suggest painting the back of the plaster casting with Stephens golden gum letting it soak into the plaster and fixing some of those gummed paper plate hangers onto the dried golden gum, but you will need to sand off the residue of the no more nails so that you get back to virgin plaster that will still soak up some of the golden gum. Water based gums are easily removed with water if you need to do so at a latter date.

The gummed paper plate hangers are very strong and have a tab with a metal ring which can be passed through a slot in both the mountboard and something stronger behind the mountboard and fixed to the rear of the stronger material. Don't be tempted to use silicne, because most of the silicones continue releasing acetic acid for years afterwards and release unsightly trails hanging down from the plaster cast where the acetic acid has reacted with the plaster.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

I have up to know been using a hot glue gun with some descent clear glue sticks (Dremel) to fix things to mount board, It never really occurred to me about the mount board delaminating but so far had nothing back but only been framing for about a year [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I would use any old paint or varnish on the back of the feet to seal it then fix with silicone sealant. Works every time and its reversible