Artwork not sitting flat

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Artwork not sitting flat

Post by Ed209 »

Just framed a biggish picture 630mm x 800mm the artwork was all ready mounted didn’t pay much attention to it but seemed fine.
I used 2mm float and backed it with 2.5 mdf but (and I have come across this before) there are random gaps between where there is not enough pressure to keep the art work pressed against the mount.
I could get another sheet of mdf in but can’t see that it would make much difference unless I add two more sheets or strips so the whole back presses against the wall and use key hole fixings or similar rather than chord hanging.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Re: Artwork not sitting flat

Post by theframer »

Can you get a 5mm piece of foam core in the back thats a good way of keeping pressure against the artwork and keeping it tight to the mount.
Dave
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could try cutting a piece of mountboard slightly larger than the mount window and fixing it to the back of the undermount
in register with the window. The trick is to snip the corners off about 40mm so that the backboard imparts pressure in the right place.
This will improve things but may or may not entirely cure the problem. Worth a shot. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't like to rely upon the backing board to hold everything else flat, most backing boards give a bit over time.. So I try to a variety of things according to the options that are available to me. Unfortunately, far too many mouldings do not have particularly helpfull rebate depths and some mouldings don't have completely adequate space for separate undermounts, unless you are allowing the backing board to extend out of the rear of the frame and use flexi-tabs to retain the back into the frame, which for me can be asking for trouble.

When it was still available I used to use CombCor backing board is cases when I needed a more rigid backing board, but now I no longer have that option and sometimes resort to 6mm MDF, or fabricate an alternative backing board by gluing two layers of a fluted backing board together with the flutes running at 90 degrees to each other. I don't usually find this a big deal to do and use the dry mounting press with no heat to maintain flatness while the glue sets. I'm disappointed that no suppliers are offering more solid backing boards at a sensible cost to suit such requirements.

I personally avoid adding anything inside the back which will bow the back to gain extra pressure, because this tends to bow the back outwards in the centre which results in no support in this area. I don't usually need to do this, but I can if push comes to shove, glue mountboard onto the double layer of flute board, which adds even more strength and rigidity. Problems like this are not only a PITA, but you don't get a chance to allow for the extra hassle when quoting prices, because it's not something which expected before doing the job and does not help tp maintain a smooth work flow, but that's life.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Paul :D

One of the changes I have made this year is to use less MDF as backing and more ART-BAC-S from Wessex.

I have found a number of advantages using this fluted board. The fact that the board has a sleight curve, can work in your favour by exerting extra pressure on the undermount helping to overcome the problem you mention. It's well worth a try.

Peter.
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Thanks Peter I have put a couple of sheets in my wessex basket will give it a try, I did contemplate switching from 2.5mm MDF to 2mm thoughts on this please!

Thanks also to the other replies I will have a look at removing the back and maybe padding out the mount/aperture section, I have held back from phoning the customer for collection awaiting replies on the forum.

I have seen lots of pictures with this problem almost wants to make you go against the norm and tape the art to the mount all round and take a chance on buckling :D
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I know some members use 2.5 mdf but I have never used it only the 2mm so I cant say.

The Art-bac I use mostly is in fact 2.6 mm. But that thickness is not a problem because the edges can be crushed down with a bone folder to accomerdate the framers points if the rebate is a littly skimpy, Also, it's so easy to cut with a utility knife. As I have plenty of storage I buy in a large enough quantity to get a good discount.

As others will testify it is not suitably for every item framed and other backing baords are required. I would estimate it suits around 80% of the images I frame.

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't use 2mm MDF on anything bigger than about 10x8". It's very weedy. :lol:

** You say the picture was already mounted. Was it done correctly? I would like to have a look. :P
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

If the work came in mounted and flat and went out with a ripple, then I'd be worried that the conditions in the workplace aren't warm/dry enough and its warped while its with me.
If the work comes in rippled then that is how its going out, unless it settles down whilst in the drawer.
My understanding is that paper expands and contracts with changes in atmosphere and that allowing the work this slack allows it to move freely.
By clamping the work tight in the mount, it prevents the natural movement of the work and any rippling will appear in the window, where it wasn't before.
If its bad, I offer to sink mount it as an alternative.
From my understanding, backboards like Corricor etc aren't intended to be perfectly flat. Once the work is sandwiched, if you do this, the slightly bowed back allows the free movement of air within the package, as the atmospheric conditions vary through the year.
Or maybe that's all bollocks, what do I know!! :giggle:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

And I shouldn't be including the backboard into my sandwich anyway.. :Slap:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The sort of paper used in that sort of printmaking is quite thick and therefore will absorb more moisture. It is notorious
for going wavy. A big sheet (maybe 30" long) when absolutely saturated will grow about half an inch. :shock: This is why
watercolour artists soak and tape down their papers prior to working on it. As it dries it pulls tight and stretches the fibres.
While it's still taped on the board the wet washes will make it swell again, but it will always go flat when dry. Once complete
and removed from the board it will tend to stay flat as it is has no 'swell' left in it. Pity printmakers don't do the same. :P
The problem is, a loose sheet that has swelled up and gone wappy it will not go flat again after drying. The only way to flatten
a wavy print is to put it in a hot press between two sheets of mountboard and press it for a few mins. Risky process and it
will not prevent it going wavy again if it gets in a humid environment.
Sometimes you have to be a bit philosophical about it and accept the imperfections. I've seen mounted pictures in public
collections with gaps you could get your arm in. :lol: