New one on me

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

New one on me

Post by poliopete »

You know those small "stickers" the children come home from the dentist with or peel out of books and plaster on every flat surface in sight including grown ups :giggle: Well this one is over 2 ft square and depicts a shark.

I have never seen one before let alone framed one. I fell confident enough about using a tube and rolling it on to mountboard but I'm worried if it will stick.

Has anyone framed a large sticker? is the glue on the back strong enough? do I also need to laminate it?

The job has been left up to me and there is no price constraint.

Any advice would be welcome so I thank you in advance.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: New one on me

Post by Not your average framer »

This sticker is almost certainly produced from standard commercial quality label material and printed with normal commercial quality inks, so the paper is unlikely to be of the most suitable quality for long tern preservation, the inks are not likely to be particularly fade resistant and the self adhesive medium on the back of this sticker may not have a great self life, or storage life.

I am also guessing that the customers budget probably won't cover the usual costs of normal conservation / preservation materials and techniques, because this is not really an item that usually justifies very much expense, but that does not mean that there are not affordable ways of giving this sticker a reasonable level of protection and longevity.

Probably not everyone knows this, but some of the Hot Press pressure sensitive over laminating films feature a really substantial level of UV blocking and I'm guessing that this possibly may apply to some of their competitors products as well, so check out the product data sheets and hopefully something available on a cheap 5 metre long trial roll will fit the bill. Not all of us have a cold roller machine, but hopefully you either own one, or can obtain access to one, if so that will provide a good level of UV blocking at a low price.

Next, There are various double sided pressure sensitive mounting films and some should be available again in 5 metre long trial size rolls at a sensible price, don't just buy the first one that you can find, but check out the product data sheet to determine how good the life of the adhesive will be. Again a cold roller machine is going to be the best way of mounted the sticker onto a good quality, smooth mounting board. It would be ideal, if the double sided mounting film and the over laminating film extend beyond the edges of the sticker to effectively encapsulate the sticker all round the edges, providing a complete environmental seal all round the sticker.

The sticker can be then framed as normal with standard quality materials and assurance that good longevity has been provided at the most reasonable cost. Needless to say, the picture should not be hung in direct sunlight, or over a heat source to maintain the best longevity. I hope this will be helpful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hey Pete, is it a paper sticker or a vinyl wall sticker, if it's the vinyl then here a video that might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCRL2Z5_Ho
he's doing it on a wall, so should be easier if you are doing it on a bit of mountcard on the bench,

I cut my own vinyl sign for the shop, applied it above the door while standing on a ladder
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Mark, thank you very much for your detailed reply :D

Fortunately, the customers budget will cover whatever it takes to frame in the best preservation manner. I have access to a cold roller machine and am investigating the best film to use for longevity, along with suitable glazing it should turn out ok.

As I do not have the two penneth to upload pictures on here :( I will forward a photo of the completed job to David by email and I'm sure he will kindly upload it for me. Once again thank you for your reply, it was a great help.

Hi Steve, the sticker is vinyl.

As it happens I read about vinyl letters in one of your posts recently. By googling the same I was able to complete another job that was far from straightforward so many thanks for that. :D

Peter.
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Big mistake :oops: :oops: :oops:

The sticker is paper and not vinyl.

Very so about that typing error. :head:

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Vinyl is a whole different ball game, the normal conservation issues that apply to preserving artworks on paper will not apply in this case at all. Added to that the adhesive type on the reverse of the sticker, probably is not an issue either. You can probably leave the release paper in place and frame it much as you would frame anything else.

Leaving the release paper in place will if anything add a little extra support, but as the vinyl and the release paper are two different materials, I think it could be a good idea to include something completely waterproof at the rear of the package and to tape the glass and whatever you are using together as a sealed package, unless other waterproofing measures have been employed.

One method could require something that is definitely completely waterproof, possibly the Linco aluminium barrier tape, or something of similar performance, so that the release paper cannot absorb any moisture from the atmosphere and lead to any buckling of the sticker.

I would be tempted to place this sticker onto a Coroplast backing and retain the sticker in place with a Mylar contact overlay sealed onto the Coroplast with a suitabe double sided tape between the Coroplast and the Mylar. A suitable mount between the Mylar and the glazing would then be added to hide the area where the double sided tape was applied. If this procedure has been performed in such a way as to have created a fully sealed environment for the sticker and it's backing paper, then further waterproofing measures will not be required.

BTW, contact overlays don't look right with the Mylar directly in contact with the glazing and more than likely having a vinyl sticker in contact with the glazing won't look right either. This is only my take on how this could be done and I would expect that other contributors will have other equally acceptable methods as well. Great thread for getting everybody thinking!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer