Best adhesive for.....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Best adhesive for.....

Post by StevenG »

.... Mounting a bottle of aftershave to mountboard?

I did suggest little straps but the customer doesn't want to see the mounting method.

What do you reckon? :) :?
Attachments
IMG_20181123_103519357.jpg
IMG_20181123_103519357.jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 3819 times
IMG_20181123_103541247.jpg
IMG_20181123_103541247.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 3819 times
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Best adhesive for.....

Post by David McCormack »

Just fill the bottle with Levitating Magnetic Fluid :Slap:

"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

The work of the devil I say!!!!! :giggle:

Impressive though, see this is why I shouldn't look at Youtube - I'll probably be here for another 20-30 mins watching stuff for 'research'
MarkR32
Organisation: G58 Framing
Interests: Rugby, Food, Family, Framing

Post by MarkR32 »

Would some fine fishing wire be of use ??

I'm thinking round the neck of either the bottle you then might be able to hide the wire in the design of the bottle...
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

MarkR32 wrote:Would some fine fishing wire be of use ??

I'm thinking round the neck of...
Thought you were going to say the customer :shock:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm not generally in favour of using silicone adhesives inside of a framing package, but in this case, will such dark glass, I don't think you would ever see clear silicone through the glass if the silicone was secured to black mountboard. I do feel that it is necessary to qualify this, but pointing out that the load bearing qualities of mountboard are not included in mountboard manufacturers published specifications, so beware how much weight you consider hanging from a blob of silicone stuck to a piece of mountboard.

If I had a CMC, which I don't, I would be tempted to cut a close fitting mount with spacing behind to separate the mount from a piece of black mountboard behind, leaving a recess into to which the rear of the bottle could be located with a small blob of silicone at the rear of the bottle. I still don't much like silicone, particularly because of the out gassing issues, which can cause visible deposits on the inside of the glazing, but at the moment I can't think of anything much else that will work as well.

At least, if only the minimum amount of silicone necessary is used, then any out gassing issues may be less due a lower quantity of silicone being present within the frame.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Or even use double sided foam tape. It's stronger than you might think. :D

There is some very fine copper wire you can get from electrical parts dealers that is as thin as a hair and very strong. You could wrap this around
the neck as pass it though the backing. It is as good as invisible. This combined with the sticky foam tape would be the best solution IMHO. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

I have some 3M VHB tape which can be useful but the actual area of contact between the bottle & the mount board is fairly minimum due to the jagged finish of the bottle. Slim wire around the neck could be pretty well hidden though now it's been mentioned.

Cheers guys :)
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

The silicone glass to glass bond is enormously strong. One possibility is;

cut a hole in your mount card 10-15 mm square, tape a small piece of glass 30 -40mm square on the back of the mount card, put silicone on the glass showing through the mountcard, press the bottle into the and position.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Silicone is likely to be easily removable from the glass if required at a later date, by using a strong chemically based paint stripper such as Nitromoors and although I don't usually like using silicone, this sounds like a favorable solution to me.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer