Moat frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Moat frame

Post by Teresa »

I have a customer that wants a moat frame. I've seen one but have no idea how to make one. any advice would be appreciated. the picture is 6"x 9" I also have no idea how to price it.
Thank you
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Moat frame

Post by JFeig »

What type of art are you planning to frame? With or without glazing?

I have not seen one of those in at least 25 years. It"s a frame within a frame. Make the smaller frame and attach it to a rigid backer that has another frame around the backer. The inner frame can either be nailed or screwed to the rigid backer. The backer can either be covered with fabric or painted. I would not recommend the backer be covered with mountboard as it can't be cleaned.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Moat frames are quite common around St Ives and Newlyn.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Thanks, Mark.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

I'm not sure if I've understood correctly, but this might be what you're looking for:-

https://www.arqadia.co.uk/supplyimages/ ... eaflet.pdf
prospero

Post by prospero »

Interesting..... :D

Never heard that term before. Seems to be a variation of the traditional "Cassetta" pattern. That is a flat bit edged with
complimentary smaller mouldings. I make them all the time, but always hand-finish them. You can make them with factory
mouldings but it's tricky finding three elements that match. The inner/outer mouldings really need the same finish, but not
the always the same shape.

It's an excellent system for making 'generous' frames maybe 4 "+. And the good thing is that the proportions can be varied to the nth degree.

They seen to be the 'thing' at the moment and go with the contemporary taste in art.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

joh5nny wrote:I'm not sure if I've understood correctly, but this might be what you're looking for:-]
Yes, but the guys down in Cornwall do it with much cheaper mouldings than those which you have shown. Many Cornish artists have to manage on quite a tight budget and improvise to save money, there is often a strong focus on saving money in framing styles originating from Cornwall. Very often the panel between the inner and outer mouldings is just a plain panel, which continues right across the rear of the inner frame and the inner frame is secured to the panel with screws through the panel from behind.

There's nothing sophisticated about these frames, in fact many are produced by the artists themselves using basic joinery and are simply hand painted with basic white emulsion paint. Outsiders with an interest in the Cornish art scene tend to think that these frames are something more special than that and are an authentic requirement for framing the work of St Ives and Newlyn based artists. I have customers from time to time who want their Cornish artworks framed to match other artworks already framed in this style.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Teresa, what a fascinating and very timely thread :clap:

I was, very reluctantly, about to burn a quantity of R&H fillets and spacer off-cuts, and I hate to waste anything. But after seeing joh5nny link, I can see these will be ideal for constructing the offset moulding for smallish Moat frames. I would not have thought of that and, I too had never heard this term before.

I can't wait for this seasonal rush to be over and get started on making some of these frames. I will hand finish in an off-white as prospero suggests and will be looking out for some suitable images.

Once again many thanks and good luck.

Peter.
Not your average framer

Hello Peter,

That's an interesting idea and also leaves you some scope to do a few variations at the same time, maybe a few deep box frames using the same off cuts of spacers at the same time. I usually tend to think that being able to offer customers things that are not only different, but also desirable at the same time is a particularly good formula and it sounds to me like this might just tick the right boxes.

If customers saw frames of this sort of style in the usual big stores, they would probably sell like hot cakes. It's quite a contemporary and trendy look. Perhaps this is a good time to steal a march on big stores for once. Like you I have to make some decisions about a bit of surplus stock and having moved into new premises, various off cuts and older stock does not necessarily fit my plans for the future, so I giving your idea some serious thought.

I find that ready made frames are a bit like bananas and go in bunches. It can take me a while to shift them sometimes, but then there are times when they almost fly out of the shop and since I will soon need some interested shop window fillers, this idea could be just the job. Thanks for the idea, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea.

Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer