Backing a print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kev
Organisation: 3 Muses Art
Interests: Art & tattoos

Backing a print

Post by Kev »

Hi guys, my first post and I'll just let you know I'm a complete beginner so apologies if it's a silly question.
So my wife is an artist and to help her display work I want to do the framing for her. In due course I would like to undertake some training but right now its a bit of trial and error.
I have been asked to frame a screen print on paper that is 1500mm x 500mm. I have no problem making the frame as I'm quite handy with woodwork but my question is; what is the best way to mount so that it is wrinkle free and flat?
my thought was to use a self adhesive backing board but is the right approach?
Thanks in advance.
Kev
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Backing a print

Post by Justintime »

H Kev,
Welcome! Wow, that's a good size piece to start with!
I suggest getting hold of Conservation Framing by Annabelle Rushton from the Fine Art Trade Guild. It will show you how to hinge work correctly.
Is the piece of value or not?
When I say its a good size, I mean its oversized "Jumbo" mountboard, if you window mount it. You can get Wessex pictures to cut you 3mm(minimum) glass to fit.
The frame should also have a subframe/added support.
I'm going to stop there, as I'm sure there'll be plenty more info coming soon.
By the way, if you need an underpinner, I have just listed one for sale in the Adverts section.
Good luck!
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Welcome to the FF :handshake:

Step away from the self adhesive board :giggle:

Justintime is right to mention using hinges, that's the way to go.
Kev wrote:what is the best way to mount so that it is wrinkle free and flat?
Is it currently wrinkle free and flat?
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thanks for the replies guys.
The artwork is quite valuable (time and effort more than hard cash) so I intend to practice on similar paper type and size first so make sure I’m happy.
I’ll do some research on hinging and try and get hold of the book recommendation.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Kev and welcome to the FF :D

Very sound advice from Justintime and David.

Not wishing to overdose you with information at this stage, I will only add that acrylic and not glass should be considered on such a large item.

Good luck.

Peter.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

David McCormack wrote: Step away from the self adhesive board :giggle:
Can I ask what you've got against it, as I've used it occasionally, with the customer's agreement. Is it because it's not a reversible method?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Self adhesive materials generally have a limited shelf life, which determines the time after manufacturing beyond which a fully successful bond cannot be guaranteed and then there is the service life after which an otherwise successful bond may deteriorate. Any impressions we may have of permanency regarding self adhesives should be taken will a large pinch of salt, as they will fail some day.

On the other hand, there can be cases where the use of self adhesive materials may be the only effective option in a particular situation, so we may not always have a better alternative. However, self adhesives are not usually regarded as a fully reversible, or conservation option, because of the volatile types of chemicals released as the materials age, the effects that these chemicals may have on the original condition of the art and the difficulty in restoring the artwork back to it's original condition before long term contact with the self adhesive materials.

Having said all that, self adhesive mountboard used is used on low value, replaceable items where the above problems are not considered an issue by the customer and as such help with meeting the customers budgetary requirements. Cheaper self adhesive boards may use synthetic rubber solution type adhesives, while some other self adhesives may employ acrylic based adhesives. As far as I am aware most self adhesive mount boards tend to use acrylic based adhesives, which are generally less problematic. Also there is the fact that not everyone has a dry mounting press and self adhesive mount board is then the only option open to those of us without a dry mounting press, so it's horses for courses.

The longevity of the bond obtained is pressure related and a cold laminating roller machine will be particularly helpful in obtaining good results, if you have one available. Are there occasions when I use self adhesive mount boards? Yes, there are! Sometimes I am asked to mount pictures printed using an ink jet printer, where the picture is not longer flat and it is possible that using heat to dry mount the picture will affect the colour of the inks. In such a case self adhesive mount boards make good sense.

It is also a good option where you may be offering a while you wait mounting, or over laminating service for customers who like to print out the snaps at home on their ink jet printer, so maybe some useful ideas there. I don't do this very much, but it is helpful when a customers does not like the effect of glossy print paper touching the glass in a ready made frame.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks, Mark, that's really helpful.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thank you for the advise. Book ordered as not available from the library.
As an aside do you guys know of any training available in Manchester or surrounding area? It seems most courses are in the South.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Here are a few links
https://www.fineart.co.uk/group/accredi ... ses-4.aspx
Picture framing events and courses - DIYFraming
https://www.diyframing.com › event_list
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Rainbow wrote:Can I ask what you've got against it, as I've used it occasionally, with the customer's agreement. Is it because it's not a reversible method?
I'm only against using self adhesive board in this particular case. Kev stated he is a complete beginner so I thought it best he doesn't attempt to use SA board on an original print particularly of the given size.

I stock Arqadia Fastmount and use it for various jobs :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Kev. :D

The advice given so far is spot-on.

The problem is that this is a quite large piece of paper and most experienced framers would cringe slightly at the prospect of
mounting it. There are very many factors involved, not the least is the type of paper. The type(s) used in silk screening is likely
to be quite hygroscopic and will expand/contract with changes in temperature and humidity. A five-foot long piece if it were saturated
with water would 'grow' about an inch. :shock: The convention when hinging paper works is to use two hinges on the top edge. But this
would not be enough on a long piece like this. There are other ways. Using edge strips would maybe be preferable but it's asking a bit
much to expect it to remain dead flat.

Sticking down is OK. Done right it would stay flat. But consider that it's a one-way process. You are actually altering the state of the work
which may impact on the value. OK, it's your wife's work so to an extent she can 'authorise' any mounting methods. But collectors don't like
work that has been irreversibly altered. It counts as 'mutilation' in the collector's world.
That aside, sticking down a five-foot piece of paper is not something to be undertaken lightly. Forget cold pressure sensitive methods. What
you would need is a massive vacuum heat press. Not many people have one that size. And then you don't know what effect the heat would
have on the inks. My general rule is: If you can't replace it, don't stick it down. :P

Sorry to give you a load of negative comments. It's just that it's as well to know the pitfalls. :wink:

I think if I had to tackle it I would float mount it using the 'Hedgehog' method. But that's another story..... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

David McCormack wrote: I'm only against using self adhesive board in this particular case. Kev stated he is a complete beginner so I thought it best he doesn't attempt to use SA board on an original print particularly of the given size.
Ah, I see, thanks.

I found this Youtube clip useful when first using self-adhesive board, particularly the tip about using a cardboard tube to roll down a large item:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9YvtnVEj0