Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Narrow moulding issue

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

Hoping to get a little help.

A client has requested R&H A195 moulding for the prints they wished to have framed.

They aren’t big with glass sizes of 410x340, 310x310 and 350x260.

I’m having an issue with the mitre and I’m getting a terrible join.
D73B1DCA-B45D-4396-BC46-F8B6BE70CCE3.jpeg
D73B1DCA-B45D-4396-BC46-F8B6BE70CCE3.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2568 times
It looked to be a ‘left fence issue’ but surprised (naively possibly) that this would have such obvious gap with such a narrow moulding (12mm). I checked the rebate supports, the blades are new with not many cuts and as far as I am aware fit correctly.

The wood was ash and did have a few ‘kicks’ to it but tried to cut around theses to select the straightest.

I’ve recalibrated the Moros as per other threads, ensureing the rulers are correct and working across each fence with a long steel rule...

The underpinner is an old minigraf 3 and I’m making sure I’m not pinning too close to the outside edge.

I have even changed to oak which had less warping in it and still getting the same issue.

I’m hoping that someone can offer there experience with this size moulding or the glaringly obvious issue I have here.

Thanks for your time.

Rafe.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Narrow moulding issue

Post by Steve N »

looks like the outer under pin is too close to the outer edge of the moulding, so when it's inserted its pushing the timber out, so move the pin more to the middle of the moulding, do not stack the pins, and make sure you are using hard wood pins.
The other option is to use a band clap, use 1 pin nearer the inner edge of the moulding and then drill and side pin, knock the pin below the surface of the moulding fill and sand.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

You can get this with hard woods when there isn't enough top pressure. What happens is, the v-nail contacts the underside of the join
and before it penetrates the wood it lifts the two rails and tips them slightly at the bottom. It then continues into the wood and the
v-nails pull the face together. leaving you with a join exactly like what you've got.
Try using more pressure and if the top pad is soft, change for a harder one.
You have to hold that sucker really firmly. :P

It's not likely it's a Morso issue if the machine has been fine with other mouldings.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's not all that surprising that you are having difficulties joining a moulding like that when it is also quite a hard wood as well. Sometimes it's not always just a matter of how the Morso, or the underpinner is set up, but actually requires some creative lateral thinking as well.

Try this and see if it solves the problem. Being a rectangular profile try cutting it upside down, this can be quite helpful when cutting hardwood mouldings with a fairly thin sight edge thinkness.

Then make up a spacer to be placed between the fences on the underpinner and the two pieces of moulding to be joined, the surface which make contact with the two pieces of moulding to be joined should be linned with medium grit emery cloth and this spacer should be mitred, glued and joined on the underpinner.

The reason why this works is that the underpinners rabate clamp squeezes the moulding tightly against the emery cloth and creates too much grip for the two pieces of moulding too move away from each other when the wedge is inserted. I came up with this method many years ago and have been joining difficult moulding for a long time with great results.

Please let us know how well this works for you.
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There was an earlier thread discussing problems related to joining narrow hardwood moulding where I first mentioned using sandpaper to prevent moulding mitres opening under the pressure of underpinning. You may find this worth checking out the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10125&hilit=+sandpaper
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thank you all for your replies and advice really appreciate your time and key tips!

I stupidly went to adjust the Morso again and spent most of yesterday morning tweaking the left fence ... grrrr should have left it alone.

Mark, brilliant tips! I have so far used a Bessey clamp to glue the frames over night and was going to put one careful pin in each corner, as you say Steve more in the middle (of this annoying thin moulding).

I will build the spacer template as you mentioned, sounds like a great idea.

Thanks all again and happy Christmas.

Rafe