double sided frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

double sided frame

Post by Ed209 »

Just had a enquiry re: double sided Map that they would like framed so it can be turned over when required to display the other side. is there such a thing as a double sided moulding specifically for this purpose or has anyone done anything similar and made something up? How would you hang it?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: double sided frame

Post by Steve N »

I just used the search 'Thingy' on the forum and it came up with loads of pages regarding double sided frames, here is the latest
https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtop ... me#p129835

I normally use two mounts, back to back, with the artwork/map between them, then the two bits of glass,then depending on the moulding, is it deep enough to take all the above, if so, finish off as normal, if not deep enough, use two frames back to back, take up any free space using spacers/fillets to fill the space, glue the two frames together.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Jim Miller
Organisation: James Miller
Interests: Framing objects, Calligraphy, Educating/mentoring framers, technical writing/framing articles & books

Post by Jim Miller »

For this I might use a Recto-Verso Platform Mount, which holds the paper's edges without the need of any adhesive in direct contact. If you have a computerized mat cutter (Oh, sorry...computerised mount cutter :giggle: ) it is quite easy to construct. Just be sure to make the Platform opening about x1.005 larger than the item, and the assembly loose enough to allow normal expansion/contraction
Drawing-PLATFORM Recto-Verso Profile 6-10-18.jpg
Drawing-PLATFORM Recto-Verso Profile 6-10-18.jpg (331.82 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Must say a Recto Verso sounds pretty uncomfortable and should probably be only attempted on a empty stomach [emoji26] It now turns out she wants two different mouldings no Mount so going to sandwich double sided map between two sheets of 2mm float, fix self additive 6mm black plastic spacers to each sheet of glass then fix the mouldings together with screws neatly spaced as a feature on one side. 18mm black grain moulding the other a gold leaf 17mm but they mate together ok and the spacers & glass perfect fit between the two.
It’s going to hang from a picture rail so hanging cord/wire easily sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk