HELP !!!!! PLEASE

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
picture maker
Organisation: Picture maker guy
Interests: art , wood work

HELP !!!!! PLEASE

Post by picture maker »

Hello, im new to this industry and am working at a company making framed interior décor. We are using a paper faced mdf frame material and cutting it with a double miter saw , because we are cutting on the short edge ( to make a boxier frame ) we have to cut against the paper - this is causing the ends to fray and show the white backing . Has anyone had this issue or any ideas on how to correct.

Thank you
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: HELP !!!!! PLEASE

Post by Keith Hewitt »

You have posted on UK framers forum.

Might get a better response on here http://www.thegrumble.com/index.php <<< < The USA equivalent.

And try asking the supplier of the moulding. They should know how to cut their own product
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Unfortunately, what has been happening makes a lot of sense. As you are saying, you are cutting the frame moulding on the shorter edge to make the finished frame look like a boxier moulding.

However, this also suggests to me that you are cutting the moulding with the paper wrapped face downwards, which has the unfortunare effect that the direction of travel of the teeth on the saw blades through the paper is away from the MDF core and is separating the edge of the paper from the MDF.

Sadly there's not an obvious solution to this because, if you cut this with the moulding turned over the other way, then the rebate edge will prevent the moulding laying flat on the bed of your saw. Sorry, but this is a tough one to beat.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
picture maker

Post by picture maker »

Hey Mark, you have the exact idea of what im dealing with. this is also a very dark frame so the white of the back side of the paper makes it even more apparent. Im thinking it may be in the saw blade ?
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Have you tried putting a a sacrificial piece under the moulding so the blade still as something to cut through after the paper. it only needs to be a flat strip if fillet?
picture maker

Post by picture maker »

I will give that a try , only issue I see is that we will be cutting hundreds of sections at a time.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't know how well this would work, but you could try fixing that sacrificial spacer along the full length of the machine bed with strong double sided tape, so that the spacer stays in place every time you make a cut and also so that the whole length of the moulding being cut will also lay flat at all times.

The spacer needs to be the exact width of the rebate to prevent unnecessary damage to the inside edge of the sight edge. It's still may not be a 100% perfect solution, but hopefully a workable improvement.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I'm afraid any sort of saw, no matter how sharp the blades, is going to tear at the outer wall of paper. You say you have hundreds to make. so I'm assuming they are by and large all of the same size. One solution would be to cut all your longs and shorts 2mm oversize. Here the saw has done all the hard production work. Then take the lenghts to a preset Morso and do a quick shaving cut to size. This should eliminate the paper tear effect.
A bit more work but set it against the price of using a very budget moulding.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/