mounting with very little margin

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jarvman
Organisation: Photographer
Interests: Photography, Framing, Drinking

mounting with very little margin

Post by Jarvman »

Hi all, was hoping for some help. I am framing a very curly panoramic print. I have very little margin to stick the photo down. The window mount only covers 2mm of the edge of the picture/paper. I want to stick it to the backing board in the most archival, non-destructive way possible. Without being able to see tape through the window obviously. have very little space to work with, imaginably have to put tape on the back instead of the edges. Any suggestions really appreciated! Thanks!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: mounting with very little margin

Post by pramsay13 »

If it is not valuable and the customer agrees I would dry mount it to a sticky board using my JM26 hotpress.
If you don't have mounting equipment you can do it manually if the picture is small enough, otherwise maybe see if someone nearby can do it for you.
prospero

Post by prospero »

How big is it?

If it's been rolled and is curly I would sandwich it between two (clean) pieces of board and leave it under enough weight as
to gentle flatten it and wait a few days. If that gets most of to curl out then hinge it on the back with T hinges. Two or three
hinges should be sufficient but don't put the hinges too near the ends. About a quarter of the way in.
If it won't lay flat enough when in the frame then you can consider drymounting it to a board. If it's very long (+36") this can
be a tricky job and you might think about farming this job out if you don't have the equipment to tackle it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

This is a frequent problem with artists who do not plan ahead and rather have the picture framer correct their mistakes. Is it possible for the artist to reprint the image with a border so that the image can be properly framed?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com