Framing outdoor business signs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Framing outdoor business signs

Post by whitbyframer »

Hi, I've been asked to do some frames to go around some outdoor signs for a local business. Other than making them up from timber, I've been wondering about using Polcore instead. Does anyone know how weather resilient they are? They will be facing North so bleaching won't be a major concern, be we do live on the North East coast which gets a battering in the winter. Any advice is appreciated.
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Re: Framing outdoor business signs

Post by Ed209 »

I have some offcuts of Polecore that have been outside for well over a year and used some the other day and it made up a frame as good as new.
I suppose one problem could be sagging if long lengths but you could silicone on to sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Polcore is made of polystyrene and does not take kindly to repeatedly cycling through extremes of hot and cold, or extreme changes in humidity. Having said that there can be problems with wooden frames as well, so there's a lot to think about.

If the polcore is going to be suject to temperature differences between one side of the moulding compared to the other, one side will want to expand, while the other side will want to contract, or not expand as much. The resulting stresses will create forces that tend to bowing the moulding and if the frame has anything restraining the frame from bowing then this may produce crazing of the finish on the moulding, because the stresses cannot be relieved by the moulding bowing.

The same will apply to wood mouldings to some degree if moisture gets into one side and not the other. You can get a certain level of protection by sealing the wood with yacht varnish, but even yacht varnish does not last forever. Added to this most underpinning wedges will rust away to nothing over extended periods in a damp environment, so you do need to take a lot of things into account for jobs like this.

Have you considered aluminium frames, they are not necessarily the answer in every situation, (you may not get the dimensions, finish, or style that you want), but they will stand up to the elements extremely well. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm telling you what can happen in particular situations, but that does not mean that you might not get away with in the particular situation that applies with this job. I just don't know.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

I know of a framer who has had Polcore chevron samples stuck on his outside sign for 7 years and they still look good. He used the range below but he reckons Polcore is ok outside so long as you avoid metallic foils.

https://mainlinemouldings.com/index.php ... goryID=795
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
prospero

Post by prospero »

My sign is marine ply edged with Simon's M99b - stained and given about 10 coats of Yacht Varnish. I took my time building up
the varnish (back and front) and so far has been hanging on a west-facing wall for over 24 years. It's a bit weathered now, but you can still read it. :D

The M99b is RAMIN. I doubt if Obeche would last more than 3 years if that. I would use oak if I had to do the same today.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, more food for thought. :?
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Many years ago I made a notice board for the village (our village later became a town) I definitely recall using "Parana Pine" and like prospero, copious coats of Yacht Varnish :lol:

It generated a great deal of business because of goodwill I assume :giggle: so I kept my eye on it. It was in situ for two years and before it was nicked :o never to be seen again :(

BTW Thanks for posting Ricky, it's appreciated when suppliers contribute :rock:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

What Babaza says about metallic foils on polcore mouldings makes a lot of sense as metallic foils won't stretch as much as purely poymer foils before the foil breaks. Useful information from Babaza.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

If you do opt for wood, maybe use an exterior preserver (Ronseal etc) They do a lot of colours these days.