making multi compatment frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

making multi compatment frames

Post by Not your average framer »

Every now and then, I get asked if I can produce multi compartment frames for displaying whatever certain customers like to collect. One example could be for customers who collect thimbles, but it's only an arbetary example as it could be almost anything. I've never done anything about this, but since I now have various woodworking tools, I wanted to look at how I can do this and wondered if anyone has any idea about the best way of going about this.

Any thoughts?

My thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: making multi compatment frames

Post by poliopete »

Hi Mark

I have never actually made a multi-compartment frame but, a few times in the past, I have made a glassed frame that slides over a suitably prepared "Printers Tray". They were, at one time, easy to obtain and quite cheap.

If you can lay your hands on a printers tray the finished result can look, for the want of a better word "stunning" :D eBay is a good place to start. The trays with the little brass " x's" over the corners look nicer.

I am certain that whatever you decide to do will please your customer.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

That's true, but I'm looking to make them from scratch with the size of the compartments to suit whatever the customer requires. I'm gussing that they should be quite quick and easy if you are geared up to do them, but I think that there's some inside knowledge regarding how the professionals go about making these.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Hi Mark,

I wonder if a local (retired?) chippy could knock them up.....maybe cheaper than you can, as they'll have all the kit?

But maybe you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and going the other route would diminish your control / profit.
Not your average framer

Thanks Dan,

Well, I've already pretty much got all the kit that anyone else would have, but I also want to do it myself. Doing stuff like this is adding another string to my bow and therefore extra potential to keep busy when times are a bit quiet. As I have said, I have had enquiries abot stuff like this before, so it's something which could naturally fit in with my existing business fairly well.

My town's last bank closed back in October and as a result the town is not so busy as before, so I'm thinking that I might add an extra income generating item, or two to my shop, just in case. I've also wanted to be able to do this for a really long time, so it seems a good thing to try.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Yes, as I hit 'post' I thought that'd be the case! You are obviously extremely capable and versatile.

Have you got onto any cabinets makers' forums - perhaps they'll give you some pointers on techniques, short-cuts and kit.

With my rustic DIY knowledge, it sounds like a decent router would be worth its weight in clichés: i.e. routing channels in the backing board to accept the compartment strips of wood could be half the battle.

Good luck with it, Mark, I really admire you for wanting to add something so difficult to your skillset. :clap:

Random (probably useless) thought: Do you do any 'up-cycling'? I know you are very well versed in re-finishing wood. So how about applying that to small (or not so small) bits of furniture? Could bought from, then (after you've worked your magic) sold on fleabay.....with a framers' eye, I'm sure you can spot hidden potential which could be unlocked with a pot of Farrow & Ball or whatever.

Also, you could display the finished items, to give people more reason to call into the shop. Framing and furniture could feed each other. Apologies if you do that already, and I just wasted your time reading this :head: )
prospero

Post by prospero »

There is a fine division between framing and woodwork and sometimes you have to stray over the border. :D

What is a multi-compartment frame but a display cabinet under a different name.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Hmmm, prospero....do you think Mark will need two union cards then? :lol:

(Got to be some 'compartmentalize' gag somewhere in this thread, but I'm resisting the urge manfully.)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I've done this
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com/3D ... aming.html
top one with seashells etc click on the image to get a larger one

I used the widest spacers I could get about 30mm and just made a half lap joint, if you wanted more compartments, and had a table saw, you just make a jig and knock them out in no time
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Nice stuff Steve. :P

The time-consuming thing in doing this sort of construction is the set-up. If you make jigs and templates you can do repeat
work in no time with quite basic tools.

There are some quite good clips on YouTube that demonstrate cunning ways of doing this. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Yes, very nice jobs, Steve.

Was the Morissey shirt cleaned, or did it come in with his sweat still on?! (I expect you told the customer about outgassing if it was sweaty!) :D
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Still sweaty I'm afraid, I have a millionaire customer who brings these Morissey concerts mementos to me to frame, have about half a dozen in at the moment
Steve CEO GCF (020)

cleaver

Post by cleaver »

I hope you are doing your best to relieve him of some of his millions, mate! :wink:

Without going all Howard Hughes, it's gotta be an issue with all that bacteria being sealed in, hasn't it?
Not your average framer

Dan Smith wrote:Also, you could display the finished items, to give people more reason to call into the shop. Framing and furniture could feed each other.
I'm already doing a bit of that. On the furniture side it's mostly repairs, I never advertised the fact I do this, people just come in and ask me to fit this, or that. I guess they just think that it's worth asking. When I put the odd item for sale in the window, it generally something that will fit into the average cars boot. I don't consider it to be a high value market, but more something for people who like a bit of a bargain.

I get given things from time to time that need sorting, at one time there was an auction house in the town and I got the odd bit from there and sometimes I'll pick up something from the odd car boot sale, but it's not easy getting things at a worthwhile price. Since my buying spree getting various machine tools, if got a lot more options than before and repairing items with broken trim mouldings becomes a potentially profitable activity, because I can cut bits off from picture framing mouldings with my table saw to make new trim mouldings very cheaply.

Re-trimming damaged furniture items is very much something I have deliberately geared up to be able to do. I have a variety of compressed air driven nail guns and staple guns, which enables me to undertake various repair jobs both quickly and to a very professional standard. You might be surprised that I am mentioning staple guns, but I use narrow crown staples to effect repairs from underneath trim mouldings and then replace the trim moulding to hide the staples. Lots of old bits of furniture have hidden fixings, or dowels hidden under fancy bits of trim, in part that's why trim moulding were invented.

To make money doing this sort of thing, you need to be able to work quickly and the right tools, together with a few clever techniques will enable you to do this.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Hi Steve,

I liked the nice compartmentalised frame. Looks good! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Thanks Mark, that's very kind of you :blush
Steve CEO GCF (020)