An aperture problem

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

An aperture problem

Post by Rainbow »

The customer has asked me if I can do something with the job shown on the attached image, ie fill the aperture of an existing mount. Currently the aperture holds a photograph which has a flat paper "mount" with a circular aperture, but it doesn't quite fill the aperture of the mount. However, the customer wants to keep it. I don’t have the necessary equipment to cut a circular aperture so I have to keep the paper.
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.19.39.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.19.39.png (70.86 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
I'm thinking of some of the options:

1. I could cut a square mount to fit inside the aperture, so that it sits flush with the existing mount and covers the paper. I could do a reverse bevel round the edges so that the square mount slides over the bevel of the existing mount.

2. The new mount won’t exactly match either the existing mount or the paper. I could do a mount with a black core to make the mismatch with the paper less obvious, but I don’t suppose a black keyline would show if I do a reverse bevel at the edges.

3. Another option to make the colour mismatch between mounts less obvious - I could use black core and bevel the outer edges to form a V-shape with the bevel of the existing mount.

4. I could use a coloured mount, with or without a black core.

5. How wide would I do the mount - just enough to fill the aperture, or covering as much as possible of the paper leaving just the circular aperture showing.

Is this the best thing to do anyway. Has anyone else got any ideas? The customer can see the problem, knows I can't cut a circular aperture, and I think will be happy with any solution that fills the aperture and holds the photograph in place.

PS. I haven't yet agreed to do the job and I could decline it but I'm up for the challenge :?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: An aperture problem

Post by Justintime »

My first thought is what is the cost to customer difference, between your labour cost versus taking a piece of board to a friendly cmc owning framer and redoing it from scratch.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Another option, I could send you a piece of white paper with a circular window, but with the paper bigger than the original paper mount, or a piece of mount card with a circular window to fit behind the mount

What size is the overall mount, I could redo the whole mount with that right size circular window, just need a drawing with all the measurements,
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks both, and for your kind offer, Steve. Unfortunately the existing mount has signatures on it so the customer has to keep it. I'll put the other options into the mix to discuss with the customer, thanks.