Help with 'pinning'

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Gingernix
Organisation: Arran picture framers
Interests: Framing Ceramics Reading

Help with 'pinning'

Post by Gingernix »

Anyone know how to do this? Are there special 'pins'? Grateful for any advice :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (547.8 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
prospero

Re: Help with 'pinning'

Post by prospero »

Good Luck with that. :D

I've moved this to Help. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I am a big boy now so I am not afraid of critique :lol: so hear are my thoughts.

I am not certain what this is but it looks like what I would call "Tatting" If so, I have, in the past, lightly tacked this type of fabric mainly across the top on a suitable mountboard as the main support. I would use one of those rounded point needles and use a thread/cotton that is the same as the item as possible.

If you use this method a thimble is a must you may even need to start the hole off with an awl. On occasion a fabric covered mountboard may be an option. Discuss this with customer. I have made the mistake of making my stitches to tight and that will distort the item.

It's been a very long time since I framed such a thing and if anything else comes to mind I will post.

In the meantime I hope I works out well for you.
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

What is holding them up at the moment? They look like pins and very thin rods. Is this not enough to support them?
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

Are they individual pieces lying on a piece of glass? - Is it free machine embroidery on dissolved fabric? If they are made of thread, then you could stitch as unobtrusively as possible, to a fabric backing, using a similar thread, then stretch the fabric backing over a piece of conservation mountboard and either have a double, shadow mount or spacer under the rebate. If the customer wants this kind of shadow effect created you could attempt to stitch the pieces to a piece of organza, or ask the customer to do that. then you could fix the organiza to a stretcher frame, possibly with staples, and frame that within a deep frame with a spacer. not a two minute job! hope that helps, good luck.
caro
Organisation: Manor Farm Studios
Interests: making stuff with wood, glass, metal, textiles, paint. Big friendly dogs.

Post by caro »

Sorry, I've just had another look and see that each piece is spaced away from the backing on 'stilts' What is the customer expecting ?