Place mats

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Place mats

Post by Ed209 »

Had a customer in today and she would like six paintings that her son has done made in to place mats.
I do have a Drymount Jet mounter, My first thought is to get the originals copied and printed.
I have not had my Jetmounter long and so far only bonded a scratch map and a few items on to board.
I see form a old Wessex catalogue they used to sell the blanks but don’t think they do now, also I would have to overlay them with a suitable laminate. Has anyone done this before or recommend somewhere to farm them out to.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Re: Place mats

Post by China shop »

Probably sublimation printing is a better option. But you need sublimation printer and hot press for that. Blanks can be bought from someone like express.co.uk
Roger
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

As they will be used for place mats, that means they will have hot plates put on them, this could have an effect on the laminate, Boots used to offer this service, get you customer to take them to Boots

If yo want to go down that route , there are plenty of videos on You Tube, DryTac had whole series of them, you need to apply the laminate to the artwork/print first, then apply the self-adhesive film to the backof artwork/print. then apply the artwork to the 3mm MDF, then at the end apply self-adhesive cork to the underside of the MDF, then trim the whole lot down to finished size, so very labour intensive, so charge for it well :cash: :cash:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's one job I would refuse to do. :evil: :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This is not a job for just anyone. Getting the place mat to stay flat after sticking the images to one side is not easy, the tension on one surface needs to match the tension on the other surface for this to work. Proper place mats use a special waterproof board which is much more solid than your common, or garden variety of MDF. You would not get me to do a job like this.....too much to go wrong!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer