Bleaching oak

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Bleaching oak

Post by Benhen »

Anyone have much experience.... products, pitfalls etc.?
Much obliged.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Bleaching oak

Post by Not your average framer »

As far as I know bleaching oak is not very easy to do. The tanin in the oak is likely to be the main problem and because oak has it's own oil in the grain, penetrating the grain with something that will lighten the tanin won'y be easy to do. There are various recipes in Frederick Oughton's book "The complete manual of wood finishing", but some of these substances have some rather old fashioned soumding names and getting them these days may prove to be a problem.

If you just want to lighten the oak, would a pale wash soaked into the wood be any good?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

There's two ways to beach wood. The easy off the shelf bottle of wood bleach ( Liberon do one ) or the more "nuclear" two part wood bleach - Fiddes do one. If you want to have some control over the degree of bleaching then the Liberon is the way to go. As NYAF suggests, oak might put up a bit of a fight, so with the Liberon you can keep re-using until you get where you want to be. The two-part solution will take everything out in one go, with no control on your part. Tell us how you get on.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Use Ash instead. :lol:

Or do a 'limed' effect by washing over with white paint and wiping off.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Mark :D

Thank you for the link to the "woodweb" site. This internet never ceases to amaze me.

Peter.
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Post by Benhen »

Thanks guys, Mark, Dermot etc. Bottle of Liberinon order. Looking at that link, it seems a shame to remove all that beautiful patina. In my case I’m trying to add ‘touch and time’, to soften the new oak.
Not your average framer

Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer