Any idea what causes this..??

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Any idea what causes this..??

Post by StevenG »

The blades don't seem to be cutting the smallest little piece at the bottom, any idea why? The head move all the way down and I can easily see the blades disappearing well below the bed (if that's what it's called)

I thought it might be the bottom knives so I loosened moved them every so slightly closer to the blades - made no difference.

My blades don't appear to need swapped for a while yet - but maybe they do :) any suggestions ?
Attachments
brokeback_2.jpg
brokeback_2.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 4355 times
brokeback_1.jpg
brokeback_1.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 4355 times
prospero

Re: Any idea what causes this..??

Post by prospero »

It's that little chamfered corner at the bottom of the moulding. As the blade cuts through that section has no support
and so instead of cutting it snaps off a chunk.

You can jam a piece of Plasticine or similar in the corner where the Morso bed meets the fence.
Or snap off the whisker and touch it up . Not much else you can do. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Not sure if it's relevant here, but I saw a Rinaldin Youtube video, where they advised to put a strip of mount board between the moulding and the fence. This, of course, nudges the moulding toward the blades, so they cut all the way through the moulding.

As I say, not sure if this is right for this issue....GL with it. :)
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Cheers guys, thing is though it's only just started to happen, I also should have mentioned too that it's worse on the left fence. I recently moved the morso head forward a little as I had quite a bit of breakout down the whole back, the mountboard trick works great with that before the head was moved. I'll monitor this as time goes on
prospero

Post by prospero »

featurepiece wrote:............ it's worse on the left fence.
That because of the grain direction. It's all to easy to overthink these things and start tweaking the Morso settings and
end up with it all out of kilter. I've had my Morso for 35 years and have never moved the lower blades.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

......nor have I, and to be honest I wouldn't know how to :oops:
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Guys, may a sneak in a very newbie question? Is there a simple way to test whether my blades are sharp enough? I realise proper framers will just know from experience. But is there a test someone like me could easily do (something like 'cut a bit of xxxx and it should cut cleanly'). Sorry, I bet that question comes up a lot :oops: !
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Good question but sadly I don't really have an answer, but I can easily add you'll know when they're not sharp enough!!! As you've said though experience will soon come along and with it, it's sidekick Mr knowledge with his fancy pants. I hate to sound obvious but things like consistent bad cuts, joins not being as good as before, the blades not making that nice slicing sound etc - little things like that usually make me get out a spare set.

I'd say the majority of what I know at the moment is because I've messed around with stuff, made many mistakes in the process & at the time I was about to throw in the towel on many an occasion - but as I sit here now I'm happy that I made all those little happy accidents :)
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks, FP. That's my problem; no idea what they ought to cut like! I guess as soon as I have the spares sharpened I'll know!

BTW, here's the link to that Rinaldin video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtzsK0S39gI
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

poliopete wrote:......nor have I, and to be honest I wouldn't know how to :oops:

Me neither..... until a few years ago I had an engineer come around and service my equipment. Whilst he was here we changed the blades and he advised to adjust the bottom knives a little the line up better with the top knives. I didn't even know this was a thing. It did make a difference with the cuts actually - at the bottom on the moulding I would have little wood stragglers, nothing serious and nothing that would be of any real concern but after the adjustment the bottom cut on the moulding was neater.

As Prospero said though we can overthink things (me especially), I've been using these blades now since before Xmas and they've done quite a bit of work in that time including plastics. I might just change the blades next week as any issues I've ever had with my Morso has always been down to blades - either being not sharp enough or incorrectly sharpened.

Anyway folks - as always, thanks for the great advice! Onward and upward (isn't that what they say?)
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

FP, it's 'onwards and sideways' with me usually! :lol:
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

cleaver wrote:Thanks, FP. That's my problem; no idea what they ought to cut like! I guess as soon as I have the spares sharpened I'll know!
That's in my opinion though, I'm sure there's someone else on here that can add something helpful.

Although, if you can afford it, get a brand new set, get them fitted correctly and you'll soon see the quality of cut that the Morso can give. :)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If you have the sme set of blades on since before Christmas, then I would replace them with a set of sharp ones, they bound to have lost their edge, even if you have only cut 10 frames a week since they have been on the machine, depending on what the state of the moulding was like in that period, using hard woods, oak ash , ramin, even hard obeche, from the very first cut when you have put on sharp blades, the edge is starting to ware .
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's a similar thing with the rebate supports. They stop the lip snapping off but still there are always some whiskers underneath.
Look closely and you'll notice the supports don't fit tight against the blades (for good reason) so there is a little unsupported
section and it's that which goes whiskery. It's like cutting paper with one half of a pair of scissors.
With new blades you will occasionally get a clean cut, but the structure of the wood is different in each cut. :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

cleaver wrote:is there a test someone like me could easily do (something like 'cut a bit of xxxx and it should cut cleanly'
Pete Bingham always reckoned that a pair of sharp blades should cleanly cut a bit of toilet paper, I'm not sure that this means anything and I don't take it too seriously. I don't think that this particular problem is necessarily indicative of blades needing sharpening.

Do the front on the blades go below the top of the bottom blades? It could be that the blades have been re-sharpened enough for the blade height to be needing to be adjusted.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer