IMG_0877.PNG
IMG_0877.PNG (734.04 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Hi, does anybody recognise the moulding in the photo? Thanks in advance
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Frame ID Please

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It's a grey one. seriously a better photo would help. It looks like it may be a stained plain wood?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Simon added some grey mouldings to there ECON range in the last year, or two. It could easily be one of those, as it does not appear to have a lot of depth to it. Unfortunately you can find relatively similar mouldings from many suppliers. A better description, including dimensions, whether the finish is all one colour and just shows the grain of the wood through the paint, or if it a very smooth finish with another shade of grey dragged over the main finish as a grain like effect. I'm guessing it is a wood moulding, but you have not told us this, so could it even be a polymer moulding.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Looks Like Frinton WF4528
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Ricky wrote
"Looks Like Frinton WF4528"

Just had a look on Frinton's website, and it don't come up when you search, can't find it in my catalogue either :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I haven't seen the frame in the flesh, so can't confirm exact colour, dimensions etc. My customer has just sent the photo through to see if I can source the same frame. I was hoping it might be immediately obvious to someone, but appreciate the photo's not the best
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This may, or may not be relevant , but I used to be able to get a very low cost oak moulding, which I've now replaced with Rose and Hollis A113 oak and I frequently stain, or paint this for my customers. It does not take very long to do, but as I keep this moulding in stock as a regular stock item, this is very convenient for me. A113 is probably similar in dimensions to the moulding in the photo.

For wood stain, I like to use the Polyvine acrylic was finish varnishes, which also come in a range of wood stain colours, but I have also finished these as grey by adding some warm grey, or neutral grey from the Acryicos Valleyjo range of paints (which I get from Jackson Art Supplies) to the Polyvine dead flat clear wax finish varnish.

The dead flat version of this varnish is sadly not one of those currently available from Lion, but it contain a large proportion of coloidial silica to make the varnish completely matt and this coloidial silica dramatically increases the abrasion resistance of the finish. Polyvine have also introduced two new colours of warm grey and taupe, which I have not yet tried, but I think these might be good as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

Try this one from Larson Juhl 240.170.549