Best Adhesive for .....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Best Adhesive for .....

Post by StevenG »

... bonding paint covered glass to foamboard?

It's from an old door - painted on both sides, it's pretty old so some paint is starting to flake on the reverse side. I've attached some pics.

The whole piece is only 800x250 btw

The want the edges to be visible/floating - they've got no issues with adhesives etc so my simple plan was to attach it to a bit of foamcore and then attach that to the backing. Easy job indeed but my only question is what do I use, I don't want anything that would, through time, 'eat' it's way through and produce visible outlines of glue etc. Or I have some VHB tape here at hand. I've also got a bottle of Titebond Polyurethane Liquid Glue sitting right in front me. :?

Any pointers ? :)

Cheers
Steven
Attachments
IMG_20190406_155417.jpg
IMG_20190406_155417.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2832 times
IMG_20190406_155403.jpg
IMG_20190406_155403.jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 2832 times
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Best Adhesive for .....

Post by JFeig »

The verso side (back) is unstable regarding the flaking paint. I think mechanical fasteners would be more appropriate.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

What happens if the paint continues to flake off? It sill may affect the longevity of the artwork, maybe you need to think about stabilising the flaking paint to give the artwork a worthwhile future. Also sticking the verso of the artwork by using an adhesive onto the flaking paint, makes no sense as you are sticking to something that's not going to stay stuck to the glass.

If the paint on the verso has deteriorated, what about the actual artwork, it might need some treatment to conserve it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I would not rely on adhesive to secure such a fragile item. The suggestion of using mechanical fixing is a better idea.

Perhaps fashion a fixing along the lines of those used around the edges of a "clip frame"? You may need to insulate the glass from metal.

Peter.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Morning chaps, thanks for the replies, excellent advice as usual. They customer really doesn't want to see any form of attachments etc and conservation isn't a consideration here either :) When I say the paint is flaking on the verso (learnt a new word) it's only at the bottom the rest seems fairly sound.

I did explain the concerns with adhesive etc but they weren't really bothered - they just want 'the thing to appear to float in a frame' and suits me fine actually :)

Thanks again
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

"You can take a horse to water...You cannot make him drink" Time for a signed waiver.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

:idea: is it a job for Mylar sheet , wrap the whole thing , just like Robo used to do, think he called them Mylay Spiders, passing the legs through the backing :giggle: :sweating: :shake: :nod: :thinking:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I would make a frame in Rose and Hollis A42 Oak, to fit the painted glass. Fit the frame with AR glass and 12mm Oak spacers, pop your painted glass behind the spacers, white undermount to fill where the paint is missing and backboard. I think it would look great!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Hi guys

Steve - apart from basic things I really am rubbish with the mylar stuff - I've tried to do that book encapsulation thing a few times but it never looks right so, with regret, you're fired :lol:

However, framing the glass and some hokey pokey has made me think about something along those lines, I gave the customer a quick call and they're considering it - and actually it'll be an easier job too. Y'see all good times to those who wait :)