Top Presser Issue

Ask for and give assistance

Top Presser Issue

Postby Bigfishsmallworld » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am

I recently had a guy who brought me some acrylics on canvas boards together with several frames he wanted cut down to fit the boards.
One of the mouldings had a sharp apex maybe only 2mm across and when the top presser made contact with it, it wanted to force it over and consequently
although the mitre was perfect, it caused a small gap in the joint.
The top presser I was using was a soft rubber type in my Casesse CS79. Any ideas on how this can be prevented in future?
Bigfishsmallworld

Organisation: Hayfield Picture Framing Company
Interests: Play electric bass and acoustic guitar in rock band,caravaning, picture framing, hill walking, photography

EstLite Frame Pricing Software

Re: Top Presser Issue

Postby prospero » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:38 am

What you need is something to spread the load. I use a wooden triangle maybe 4" on the narrow sides and covered
with 4mm cork. This is wrapped in clingfilm so the cork doesn't get glue in the cork and form a hard surface.

In some cases, according to the moulding shape, you can make a chevron the same moulding by mitring it 'backwards', that
is cut with the rebate side against the Morso fence. This can be placed face-down on the joint to level all the pressure out.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Re: Top Presser Issue

Postby Mark Thornton » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Cut 2 small pieces of the same moulding on your Morso but with the rebate pointing the opposite way to normal and pin/glue the two cut pieces to form a chevron then just place the chevron upside down on top of the troublesome moulding, your top pad will then make contact with a flat surface.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
Mark Thornton

Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots of it.

Return to Help!

• Advertisement

Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

Members Map Header
Members Map
More info
Resources Header
Contact Forum Admin