Stretcher bar sizes?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Stretcher bar sizes?

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't see many cheap prestretched cavases that are square these days. Another thing that happens is people buy a prestetched canvas and frame from the same cheap store and the canvas is usually too big for the frame. Also, there are times when a customer brings in a canvas to frame and I have to ask which way up the painting is to hang. Probably painted by a chimpanzee!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

With the benefit of having a table saw, I can cut shims of wood to the sides of the sections of stretcher bars. I glue and nail them to the edges. In the States we can get bars in one inch increments. If I need, lets say a 19 7/8 inch bar I simple cut either a 7/8" shim or two 7/16" shims, one on each side. Cut the lengths oversize to accommodate the other dimension.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
theprint.ninja
Organisation: The Print Ninja
Interests: I fly UAV's for arial photos, I spend my time printing high resolution canvasses and museum quality prints for private individuals and corporate clients alike

Post by theprint.ninja »

We cut all our own using Morso, and underpinned V nails to create the frame. Have used DS Simons and Lion for stretcher moulding, both 20mm and 38mm profiles work well depending on size. We use a multitude of stretcher pliers and canvas stretching machines for ours, and Omar air stapler for finsishing. Never have worried about wedges as use stable canvas material and quality pine so no shrinkage or adjustment normally needed.

The benefit of mitring yourselves is none of the issues you get with stock cheap Chinese ones mis-shared, limited sizes, etc
prospero

Post by prospero »

Rigid stretcher frames are all fine and dandy if you have the right canvas. :D If the canvas does sag though
you have no option but to un-mount the whole issue and mount it again. Spent many happy hours picking staples out. :?
And you can't be sure you might have to do it again.

Keyed bars give you total control.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About