Cutting Oval Glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MarkR32
Organisation: G58 Framing
Interests: Rugby, Food, Family, Framing

Cutting Oval Glass

Post by MarkR32 »

Yes i know ... i took in this against my better judgement and so far 5 sheets of glass down, and with words being said to make my mother blush, i come seeking any hits and tips you may have.

15x12 oval nothing special but for whatever reason i cant seem to cut the glass without it cracking in the wrong places...

Thanks in advance
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: Cutting Oval Glass

Post by JonathanB »

Could I suggest you save yourself the trouble and get Wessex to cut it for you? They would be my first port of call and they would be able to deliver to you via their van service. Might take a bit longer to get hold of but it might save your sanity (and your glass stock)
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
lawrieh
Organisation: Lawrie
Interests: Web design, photography, cycling, big blue skies and making....

Post by lawrieh »

I cut circles (which should be similar) as below way with around 95% success, mostly AR glass.

Score as normal.
Turn glass over (the trick part if its large)
Press and tap on the cut until it starts, increase pressure until it goes. work the crack around the Oval
cut radially out from 1 inch out from the edge of the oval to the square edge of the glass, about 5 or 6 cuts equally spaced should be enough.
Break glass as normal from edge of sheet towards the oval, the last inch will find its own way and stop at the Oval.

Good luck
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I would cut the oval in nearly the same way as "lawrieh" except, I would be pushing the cutter, (easier to see the line to cut) and, I would not turn the sheet over but tap, with the cutter, from underneath to open the cut.

I always use a very good quality cutter and before each dip the wheel in a drop of oil.

Best of luck.

Peter.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

lawrieh was spot on, it was the way I was taught at Glass & Mirror, many years ago, the company I was working for at the time (they had about 20 framing shops) arranged for me to go to Glass & Mirror to be taught about handling, cutting etc of glass, it was a great day out, :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Like Steve I was lucky enough to receive a glass cutting master class early in my framing career :D My great day out was with Norman & Underwood Eastern who, back then, were bulk glass merchants. This came about because the first 5 full sheets purchased from then ended up in a pile of unusable triangles :(

After half a day with them I never looked back. Learning how to cut full sheets length ways using a long ebony type straight edge with suckers soon minimized my waste and increased profitability. Single and large ovals/circles I cut by hand but when a small production run is required I use a very reliable Kimberly oval/circle cutter.

My first Kimberly oval/circle cutter was sold when I sold our business but I have managed to buy a second one recently from one of our members. Although it is not used as much these days I would not be without it.

Providing waste is kept to a minimum the profit from glass should not be underestimated. Especially, from the high end glass available these days. In the early days of establishing our framing business I stocked many thicknesses of float along with mirror glass and even Dutch lite's. Back then the local small holders had green houses and not polly' tunnels. As the custom framing took off I phased out the glass other than that used for framing.

If you are reading this post this morning and are still awake, I hope you have a busy and profitable Saturday :D

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I was taught to cut and run the cut on circular and oval pieces of glass then same old using fasioned method already mentioned and I have an old Keencut Oval 6. I cut all of the glass in the front part of my shop, often in front of my customers while they are waiting. I will even give a little demostration of cutting wavy lines on bits of glass from my scrap bin, if customers are interested and start asking questions.

I don't keep my knowledge to myself and I don't think that I lose anything by showing customers how I do things. I am merely demostrating my proficiency and making sure that customers know that I can lots of things that will impress them and I'm not bothered that they can see some tasks don't take as long as they might have expected. It does not matter!

I'll even sell lengths of moulding to customers who want to make their own frames, sure they save money by making it themselves, but I don't feel threatened by this, it's honestly no big deal. Many of these customers become really good friends and keep coming back for more materials. It's a win for them and a win for me, what's the problem.

Sometimes they get me to mitre the moulding to length, so it ready to join at home and I don't mind doing this either. I'm based in a small rural town, where people are friendly and like to help one another. I'm on first name terms with many who live in the town and it's not that all these people are my customers, it's just the way that small towns are.

Is there a particular point to this? Well, yes! Don't be to secretive amount what you do and how you do it. People find stuff like this facsinating and it's a good way of connecting with your customers. It's only a few who want to make their own frames and at least they will buy their materials from you. Honestly, it's good thing, not a bad thing!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Cut my first oval/circle the other day not perfect but good enough to go in a oval frame, Used some of the methods as previously described, To my amazement it worked first time.
Thanks for the knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Ed209 wrote
" To my amazement it worked first time."

Ah you wait till next time :giggle: :sweating: :head:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/