Moulding ID

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Moulding ID

Post by pramsay13 »

Any ideas where I can get this moulding?

It is around 5cm wide.
Attachments
IMG_20190708_102321.jpg
IMG_20190708_102321.jpg (750.6 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Moulding ID

Post by Justintime »

Looks pretty close to Rose and Hollis SW9570?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I thought that the relative widths of the rounded bit and the little step on the site edge, were not quite the same on the phone and the drawing for SW9570 in the Rose and Hollis catalogue. I would say the the little step on the photo is more narrow, than SW9570, but I think the chances of the customer being upset over such a small detail are a bit remote.

What I am now going to mention may be a bit remote, because not everybody refinishes factory finished mouldings, but there's one particular factory finished moulding that I stock and use as factory finished and ocassionally will hand finish it myself when push comes to shove. For myself, I would say that it is the exact same profile as the photo, it is Simons 7000 / 0003 which is finished in a antique pin stain varnish.

I like it because there's no problems with raising the grain in this pine moulding when hand finishing, because the surface of the wood in already sealed by the factory finish. I keep it in stock as a cost effective moulding to bring out when customers want a reasonable frame for not a lot of money. It's also good for ready made frames and I get to turn my left over scraps into ready made frames.

It's quite a reasonably sturdy moulding and works pretty well for those long thin school photos, that people bring in from time to time. There are a few different mouldings that I stack with this moulding to make deep box frames that really look the business when hand finished. Quite literally, you would have no idea that it was not all one moulding after hand finishing.

Check out the profile of this moulding in the Simons catalogue and see what you think!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I have recently cleared up a truckload of moulding from a retiring framer and amongst it, there are around 50 lengths of the moulding Mark aka NYAF mentions, 700/003 finished in an antique pine stain.

I have been refinishing it in white and black making it more saleable. But if you would take some off my hands it would be very very cheap :wink:

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Too many cheaper mouldings don't look nice enough to be worth trying, but this one has a nice finish, not too much trouble with knots, in fact the lengths are often knot free and those that have knots hardly have any, so what's not to like about them? I always cut the moulding so that knots are excluded, which does make the frames easier to sell and the moulding makes nice looking ready made frames.

The moulding is good value, great finish and the waste makes nice ready made frames. That works for me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer