Fitting wood screws into MDF.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Fitting wood screws into MDF.

Post by Not your average framer »

Fitting a 12mm wood screw into 12mm MDF. I need to securely fix some wood screw into 12mm MDF, I won't be fitting them into the end of the board as that just does not work, but the screw is going in from the side which is much stronger. I would prefer to use the same brass plated pan screws that I already stock and I'm thinking of filling the pilot hole with PVA glue,before screwing in the screw. The thinking being that any particules of wood displaced by the screw would be re-bonded and add the the security of the screw.

The less preferred option would be to tap a thread into the MDF and use a standard machine screw, needless to say I don't want to do this unless I have no other option. Any comments?

My thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Fitting wood screws into MDF.

Post by Justintime »

Mark,
Have you ever used Industrial SuperGlue HV for this sort of thing, assuming you're securing wood to wood?
I was shown this way by a framer using 6mm mdf.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/best ... -screw-mdf

note the comment regarding the diameter of the pilot hole.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Justin,

No I have not. I am securing the old fashioned clips and bars used fro making strut backs, so the screws have to hold well into the MDF for the long term future, I am deliberately using 12mm MDF to get some depth of engagement of screw thread, but I'm aware that MDF is not as good as other wood, so I want to make it a solid fix. Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Thanks for the answer Jerome,

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, but thought I might get away with PVA glue. Two part glue takes a bit longer and I would like to keep it quick and easy if I can. I don't mind going for another glue like Titebond, or some other one shot glue.

Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I use the method outlined in the article jerome posted with no issues. The key as it says is making a bigger pilot hole than you normally would for timber. When screwing in, it will make a squeaking sound. If the noise is quite loud, your pilot hole is too small.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer

Thanks Nick,

BTW, how is the Guelli 4000 going,? I still regret having needed to sell that at the time.

All the best.
Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

It is still going strong thanks. It is a great machine and will deal with oak and ash without any problem whatsoever. It is built like a tank and with the double top clamps, deals with the widest mouldings you can buy.

Same can't be said for its owner unfortunately. I have only just come out of hospital after having emergency surgery on my stomach 2 weeks ago. Apparently if left a few more hours, i wouldn't be here. I am now supposed to avoid any heavy lifting for 6 weeks which is a disaster as well as already boring. I have managed to move some of my joinery jobs and have got a couple of guys who are getting jobs done, but i do all the framing myself, so my wife is helping with the cutting on the morso for me.

Sad when your underpinner appears to be built to last longer than you are!

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Hi Mark,

Wondering whether epoxy (Araldyte etc.) would be stronger? I know it's stinky and messier than PVA, but while you have some knocked up, you could also put it on the back of the fixing itself.
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Just saw your post, Nick. Hope you are feeling 100% soon, fella. Sounds traumatic....thank god you caught it in time.
Not your average framer

Hi Nick'

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that this episode will soon be all done, dusted and a perfect outcome. Maybe you can't do some things at the moment, but perhaps it will give you time to think about and sharpen up your plans for the future.

Get well soon and all the best,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I don't know how many of you guys will know this, but pop rivets are produced in a range of sizes and the smallest standard size is 2.4mm. This may work out o.k. for the clip and bar fittings which are usually secured with 2.2mm bifurcated rivets, so maybe I can get away with 2.4mm pop rivets with the unfinished 6mm MDF strut backs.

As far as I know, it should still be possible to obtain the clip and bar fittings.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

Thank you both for your kind words. Mark, good idea, i will use the time to make plans. I can develop my business plan for the next few years. I am looking for a unit for my joinery workshop so can do that.

I also have my VAT return to do and i can catch up on accounts, so i have things to do.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk