Stuck wedge cassette

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jay

Stuck wedge cassette

Post by jay »

Hi Gals and Guys,
Feeling frustrated.....
Need a bit of help with my Cassesse 299M Ultra underpinner if you don't mind…. tried a search to no avail!
I replaced the spring for the wedge cassette recently, and ever since some of the wedge cassettes were, (only some of the time) getting stuck, but with a little persuasion would eventually release.
Today, I have not been able to release the cassette, and can't figure out why it's sticking.
I have recently had a string of machine "issues" in the run up to getting a load of exhibition work done with a solid deadline, and tbh, this is the final straw. :head:
I just wish we had someone in Scotland that would come and service machinery as all my pieces are 15/20 years old and have suffered me "learning as I go" when things have gone wrong...… :xcomputer:
If anyone could shed light on what's going on it would be very much appreciated...

Jay
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Stuck wedge cassette

Post by Justintime »

Mark Thornton is on here or www.underpinnerspares.co.uk, his mobile number is on the contact page.
He's very helpful!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
jay

Post by jay »

Thank you

Mark has already helped me with the spring.... I'll get in touch with him Monday.

Just thought I'd post here in the meantime in case someone had had the same issue.

Eventually got the cassette out by breaking it into pieces.... now have the wedge distributer block out and cleaning it.... other than that, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!! :shock:
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Is there nothing useful here?
https://aimequipmentcompany.com › ...PDF
Cassese CS 299 M Ultra Vnailer Manual
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's not a new problem. I've encountered the same thing with my first Cassesse underpinner, which was a CS-79, then with my second Cassesse, which was a CS-88 and finally on a new CS-88. It just seems to happen once in a while! I don't know how to solve this problem, but keeping the reciever block nice and clean and squirting a bit of GT85 Teflon spray in aware that might be a place where things can get a bit tight might be a good move.

Cassesse send out new machines complete with a tube of Molykote grease which is what they pack the receiver blocks with, so maybe that will be helpful. I reload my empty wedge cassettes with Alphammachine universal wedges and find it a good move to spray the sides of the 12mm and 15mm with a little of the 3 in ! spray oil containing the teflon additive, as this makes up for the weaker magazine spring on the manual machines.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

jay wrote:now have the wedge distributer block out and cleaning it.... other than that, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!! :shock:
I've done this plenty of time as well. You say that you've got no idea what you are doing - this is probably where we all start and for myself, this is how I've learnt to deal with problems that come along. I don't expect that I'm the only one who would say this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks NYAF

I ended up going for a sleep to try and shake off a stonking headache.

I will clean and grease, put back together and take it from there.

When I said "I've no idea what I'm doing..." I meant, because I don't know what's causing the problem, I've no idea how to start to fix it.

I've somehow managed to keep my machinery going for 21 years, but really feel they could all be doing with a service, but the cost, even for my mountcutter to get sent away for a service is eyewatering..... it will have to be done at some point I guess, rather than replacing as suggested by my rep! :shock:

Thanks for you suggestions meantime, much appreciated.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

I found a YouTube video about changing the hammer on an 88 yesterday. The grease you mention, a good size blob on the end of your finger goes into the base of the distributor block to lubricate the hammer.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Could be that the block needs cleaning and lubing, the hammer could be sticking, only pushing the wedge part the way up, so still caught in the cassette,
I normally use the bent bit of metal (don't know what's it called) that comes with the machine for pushing the wedge back down the block , once puched back down that should free the cassette and you should be able to take it out and lube up the block (I do like a bit of lubing) :winky: :blush :phew: :nod:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
jay

Post by jay »

Hi Steve

I had already taken out, cleaned and lubed the wedge distribution block and cleaned the hammer, to no avail.

However, after a quick call to the Wizard (aka Mark Thornton) I slightly slackened a couple bolts under the table where the spring sits, and... voila!

Magic...... :dance:

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.