Touching in gold moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Touching in gold moulding

Post by cleaver »

Hi All,

Could anyone recommend a good all-round (if that's not asking too much) product for touching in dings on gold mouldings, please?

I'm talking about typical, pre-finished golds - not hand-finished gilts etc.

Also, what's the best fine filler to keep around the place?

Got a feeling I'll need to get good at hiding blemishes, so any general advice on techniques would be gratefully received.

Ta :D
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Touching in gold moulding

Post by Rainbow »

I've been really pleased with the results I've got from Liberon gilt creams https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/gilt-cream/

I've got a selection of them, and by mixing some of the colours together, I've been able to match exactly. Sight-edges seem to be particularly vulnerable to damage.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Liberon Gilt Creams and sometimes Gilt Varnish. 'Trianon' being the most useful.

That said, some gold mouldings will be more easy to do the others. It depends on a lot of factors.

Why do you think I do hand-finishing? :lol: I can touch up my golds perfectly. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Various gilt creams as already said and practice. You be surprised how much this will become instinctive as you go on. I hope that you will enjoy discovering the skills that you don't know you had. It all comes from practice. The most you do this, the better you get.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

The once that have served me well over the years are Amaco gold and dark gold used mainly for nail holes, a tube if Gold Finger and a 25 gm of "Treasure Gold" a non-tarnishing wax gilt that can be buffed with a soft cloth to achieve a lustre finish.

I have had the Treasure Gold for so long that I can't remember where I purchased it or for how much :? This can also be thinned with turpentine if required. The important thing is to keep the lid closed tightly.

As these items are used so sparingly and last forever the initial cost is immaterial.

Peter.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks so much, folks. :clap:

Aside from my own cock-ups, I expect I'll have to get adept at mouldings first-aid for the times when it gets delivered with minor dings that are too small to send the moulding back, but noticeable to customers who have every right to expect as perfect a job as possible. (That sentence was waaaaaay too long. :oops: )

Did a really dumb thing yesterday: put the back wedge way too close to the edge, and it bulged out (visibly). Of course, it was the only stick of it I had, and it was perfect with the wife's oil I was doing. Managed to extract the wedge, but now need to fill & 'gild'.

Does anyone have any favoured wood fillers?

:D
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

[quote="prospero"]Liberon Gilt Creams and sometimes Gilt Varnish. 'Trianon' being the most useful.

Now I can't get Fleetwood Mac out of my head :head: :head: :head:
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Ronseal multipurpose wood filler and Brummer wood filler interior are the ones I use. Although I see there's an exterior one too (belt n braces!! :lol:) but it says that it's suitable for "nearly all decorative finishes".
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Brummer Stopper for me too. Keep a small piece of damp sponge in the top and it seems to last forever. : Saying that, the last tin I purchased appears more oily? perhaps the formula has changed. :?

Peter.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Many thanks Pete, JT and everyone else.

I have a feeling that filler is going to be a major outlay for my operation :lol: