Logan 550

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Forkbeard
Organisation: Hobby framer
Interests: Buying original artwork and framing it myself. Also framing for friends and family.

Logan 550

Post by Forkbeard »

As a hobby framer I have been using a Logan Compact for some years. I would like to update to a Logan 550 as it has a squaring arm. Has anybody had experience of this Mountcutter and if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Logan 550

Post by Not your average framer »

I have no experience of Logan mountcutters, however I am aware that Logan mountcutters are manufactured only to be useable with logans design of blades, which are very much more expensive that blades available from other suppliers. Also with other makes of mountcutters, you may freely switch between various makes of mountcutting blades, because they are usually made to a standard design and size.

I think you need to be aware that Logan is known for hobby level framing equipment, rather than professional level equipment and because most people who are looking to buy secondhand framing equipment are only looking to buy professional level equipment, you are likely to find that secondhand hobby level equipment is extremely hard to sell.

If there is any possibility that you may be needing to sell the Logan at a later date and upgrade to something of more professional level, don't expect to easily sell the Logan, or get a very good price for it. Secondhand prices are very largely driven by demand and the demand is for the professional level equipment.

May I suggest that you also look at the Keencut Artist which is a much better mountcutter, but produced at a price level which is more affordable to Artists and hobby framers. If this suits you budget, you will be getting something which has the features of a professional level mountcutter, but at a much more affordable price and the credibility of the Keencut name in case you want to sell it as secondhand at a later date.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer