Cleaning and lubricating an old Fletcher Terry oval cutter that's got a bit stiff

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Cleaning and lubricating an old Fletcher Terry oval cutter that's got a bit stiff

Post by Not your average framer »

My newly acquired Fletcher Terry 1100 oval mount cutter has not been used for a few years and needs a bit of cleaning and lubricating, to put it back into tip top condition. Some of the adjustment thumb screws are a bit tight and I was thinking of using plus gas to free these off a bit, followed with a bit of teflon dry lubricant spray and probably the same treatment to loosen off the various bearing points around the machine. I can't find any specific recommendations anywhere, so I wondered if anyone else has had to tackle this before and if so, how?

I'm probably going to try and clean the machine with lighter fluid, again any other suggestions will be welcome. Thanks very much guys.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Cleaning and lubricating an old Fletcher Terry oval cutter that's got a bit stiff

Post by Justintime »

Lubricant is always best...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cleaning and lubricating an old Fletcher Terry oval cutter that's got a bit stiff

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Justin,

I have carefully unscrewed the very tight adjustment screws by hand and lubricated them with 3 in 1 oil and teflon spray. I'm not sure that it's ideal, but my legs are real bad at the moment with a painful blotchy rash and walking about at this time, so I'm using what I've got. So far it seems to do the trick quite well.

The machine is supposed to have a short and a long lower adjustment beam, but it's only got the longer one and you change over to the shorter one when you cut ovals and circles of under 2.5", so at the moment I won't be able to cut circles, or ovals below this size. Surprisingly enough spares are still available for this machine.

I did not know that this machine also cuts glass, but from reading the owners manual, it turns out that it does. Unfortunately the glass cutting tool is also missing, so I'll have to buy one of those as well, but it won't be right away because I need to find the money before I do this. All things considered, I think that things have turned out quite well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer