SPACERS SIMILAR TO FRAMETEK FRAMESPACE

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
koje
Organisation: Private
Interests: My own artwork.

SPACERS SIMILAR TO FRAMETEK FRAMESPACE

Post by koje »

Hi. Does anyone know of a supplier/manufacturer of a range of spacers similar to the Frametek Framespace, with it's zig-zag geometry? Thanks in advance. Something perhaps similar to the FS-1/4 DB2 which has a slot for a piece of glass at both ends. I am looking for something smaller with the same geometry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: SPACERS SIMILAR TO FRAMETEK FRAMESPACE

Post by Not your average framer »

I stopped using framespace a long time ago. It seems rather more expensive than I thought made much sense to me and very often the useful life on the adhesive on these strips was not that great. Also I don't join left over bits together, because you can't hide the joint and it looks unprofessional, so there is significant waste and considering the price of this stuff, why should I bother with it. I'm not a big fan of plastic anyway.

Once the adhesive had lost it's stickiness, it became useless. Obviously, nothing is going to match the mountboard you are using that another piece of the same mountboard, so sandwiching the mountboard and 5mm foamboard works for me, but I generally trim it to size after having glued the mountboard and the foam board together.

There's no particular reason why I do it this way, other than I find it the easy way to do this. The mountboard and the foamboard are just glued together with PVA applied with a 4 inch foam paint roller. I also still use wood spacers and paint, or stain them, depending on what looks best for any particular job. I think that getting the right look is what it's all about and it's the finishing touches that really make things look WOW!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Yes they make 2 smaller versions of spacers - FS-2 and FS-6
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
koje
Organisation: Private
Interests: My own artwork.

Post by koje »

Thanks Gents for your advice.

What I am trying to achieve is a clear presentation of an artwork without visible mount or float mounting. The idea is to run the edge of the print under the spacer, so that it disappears. I would displayed a Giclee print on 300gsm paper housed in a frame, sitting in a sandwich as follows, describing the materials from outside in:

Frame nominally 40 x 40cm
1.6mm glass sheet
5mm spacer creating a 5mm void
Giclee archival ink art print on nominally 40 x 40cm, 300 gsm art paper
2.2mm aqua moisture resistant backing board
2.2mm hardboard with swivel-in spring pressure supports

If the artwork is only held on it's four edges by the action of the swing clip on the hardboard and backing board, and bearing in mind there is a 5mm deep void between the glass and the artwork, and that that the artwork is not bonded to the backing board, would there be any risk of any bucking of the paper due to humidity, or heat.

K