Morso Rebate Supports Retraction From Moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
millieri
Organisation: None Yet!
Interests: Photography, cooking, travel, music production

Morso Rebate Supports Retraction From Moulding

Post by millieri »

Good Afternoon All

I just wanted to ask whether I should expect the rebate supports on my Morso to push back each time I move the blades forward. My supports always get stuck under the moulding and I have to move each one back manually by hand before advancing the blade to take the next 'bite'. The rebate supports and their channel are clean and well lubricated but when I see videos like this (albeit an extreme) example, I wonder why my supports don't do the same?!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
prospero

Re: Morso Rebate Supports Retraction From Moulding

Post by prospero »

You can get a gizmo for that. :D

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Regardless of what this thread is about, I'm more impressed at the speed you can cut!! :)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

It's called 'ware & tear' , mine sometimes move, then again then they don't, where I worked once we had the 'gizmo' and found it kept jamming, so took more time, threw it away in the end

With regards to the video, that's far too quick to be accurate, the moulding is moving all over the place for the cut to be accurate
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't know how many people would agree with this, but I find that setting the rebate supports a tiny bit lower that the maximum height that will slide under the moulding rebate often helps, but there maybe some times when does not prove to help very much. I don't think that there is any such thing as a perfect answer, at least not one that I've heard of.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
millieri
Organisation: None Yet!
Interests: Photography, cooking, travel, music production

Post by millieri »

Thanks for your replies. That is not me cutting sadly but someone I saw on Instagram. He doesn't have the automatic rebate supports as you can see so I wondered why his rebates move backwards when pushed against the moulding but mine don't.

Here is another example of the same fella...

Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

During a morso demo by Steve McKee, he advised not to lubricate the supports and channels, as I had been doing previously. Get some alcohol and clean them and the channels down to remove any lubricant. Kept clean like this they work smoother. The lubricant attract dust etc.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer